Noob tiler looking for advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've just had an extension built and I'm looking to tile my new bathroom (10x10 cm tiles). The bathroom is L shaped and 2m sq is chipboard onto joists and about 1m sq is concrete screed on top of stone floor (to join the existing floor). Floor is pretty level. What is the best subfloor to go under tiles?

Thanks,

M

Sponsored Links
There are materials like Jackoboard and others that are made for such purposes and an internet search will help you choose the right type, thickness etc....

I would say if you are a noob then do not attempt to tile a floor where wood is involved as it will most likely move and crack, I did all best practice on a bathroom floor and it still cracked - wouldn't bother now myself -vinyl flooring is fine as far as Im concerend and you gan get some really interesting designs.

Sponsored Links
The bathroom is L shaped and 2m sq is chipboard onto joists and about 1m sq is concrete screed on top of stone floor
you need a decouplng mat

It isolates the tiles from the floor below, so gives some protection against movement where there are different materials -like timber and concrete

its quite expensive, about £10 a sq metre, but its important

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back