Normal for Blackburn.

• Thread starter Deleted member 18243
  • Start date
I agree. But why treat recreational cannabis users differently to recreational drinkers?
I don't. But why do you think that cannabis doesn't cause problems? (My old man was involved in psychiatric nursing from the 40s to the 80s and told me some quite hair raising experiences he'd had with people who had abused drugs, including cannabis) Granted there is more evidence of people using cocaine or opiods these days, but TBH some of the cannabis being produced today is far more potent than what people were using in the 70s - and is presumably why they won't legalise it. On the same basis, alcohol should be banned, if you are being a purist.

In my world the same rule applies to all types of drug - come in unfit for work and you don't get on site. It's a simple enough rule to understand, and guys who can't get that through their heads should maybe be working in a different sector of the economy (that's how the conversation goes...). This attitude is also partly because as a First Aider I don't particularly like the idea of picking up and bagging fingers when someone "under the weather" has their accident.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
BTW, you may think that H&S is a bit OTT, who doesn't at times, but one thing is for certain - deaths and serious injuries in construction have diminished over the last 30 odd years and the trend is still downwards

I snipped a lot of your post but I think me & you at least live on the same planet.

The last BIG project I undertook, I don't know how it could have been done if we followed all of the safety rules to all of the various interpretations that all of the various trades bring along with them. Many of the rules are very badly interpreted, when a contractor says "we can't do it that way, it'll now £cost more" we had to dive in to the legislation only to discover that "yes, you can, now get on with it at the price we agreed".

I thank the Gods that I never lost a life or even a serious injury, but we had lots of hurty knee's, splinters & hurt feelings along the way.

But why do you think that cannabis doesn't cause problems?

I didn't say it didn't cause problems. But it causes fewer problems than alcohol.

If alcohol was just discovered it would be a banned substance. I just feel that people are quick to say cannabis users are all bad, but are happy to work with people who drink.

Sponsored Links
If you think that cannabis is bad there is a book called "The Emperor Wears No Clothes" by Jack Herer. Please, at least read this one book if it's the only book you ever read in your life.

If you think that narcotic/opioid drugs in general will be the downfall of humanity, then please read "Chasing The Scream" by Johann Hari.

If you can read & understand both of these works I'm certain that you will bypass the opinion that your MSM helped you form & hopefully you may travel along the path towards the truth.

I have taken alcohol, I have taken cannabis, cocaine, mushrooms & I have taken opioids. There is a reason why I am not an addict to any of these & you need to discover what that reason is for yourself. Your MSM will NEVER offer you the real truth.

I just feel that people are quick to say cannabis users are all bad, but are happy to work with people who drink.
I think you are perhaps being overly sensitive - drugs, regardless of whether they are legal or not, are a potential problem if they are over used - or in ither words by all means go screw up your own life, but you don't have the right to screw up mine as well

- loads of people drink.
But most have the good grace not to drink on site, nor come in inebriated, nor come in a state where they are rendered either unsafe or incapable of doing the job safely.

But most have the good grace not to drink on site, nor come in inebriated, nor come in a state where they are rendered either unsafe or incapable of doing the job safely.

Of course, that is obvious. But you are the one that said you would not work with people who use legal, or illegal drugs.
Or did you mean, those that use them at work?

The last BIG project I undertook, I don't know how it could have been done if we followed all of the safety rules to all of the various interpretations that all of the various trades bring along with them.
There are always people who you just cannot trust. There are also people who will do risky stuff in a way which doesn't follow the rules of the HSQE brigade to the letter.

Just thought of an example of H&S gone mad: labourer on a job was told by a main contractor manager to cut some poly pipe. He tried to use a fixed blade Stanley knife to do the job and ended up slashing his hand, requiring 8 or 9 stitches. The HSQE director immediately banned the use of utility knives which didn't self retract...

As a chippy I know that the correct tool to use would have been something like a fine tooth hand saw. The supposedly competent manager didn't know or didn't communicate this to the labourer, nor did he ensure the operative was competent to undertake the task. The HSQE director refused to listen to arguments put forward by other trades, especially the lead men on the roof and the carpet fitters inside. Priceless!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that was implied and that people wouldn't be anal with me about it. Obviously not.

There are no "words to the wise" on here; everything has to be spelled out in tedious detail - and even then it doesn't get through!

I agree. But why treat recreational cannabis users differently to recreational drinkers?

You wouldn't want either in a workplace, but an alcohol "user" on a job is not as bad as a cannabis "user" on the same job. There is one key difference between the two.

My old man was involved in psychiatric nursing from the 40s to the 80s and told me some quite hair raising experiences he'd had with people who had abused drugs, including cannabis

These experiences are still being experienced and are growing in number. The following website is a collection of British news reports about cannabis-fuelled violence:

Ross Grainger – Attacker Smoked Cannabis: suicide and psychopathic violence in the UK and Ireland

Also, you will find that in almost all the terrorist attacks in the past couple of decades and all the headline murders the culprits were on cannabis. It is never mentioned as a cause though; this is because almost all of the people involved in the media are on cannabis too.

If you think that cannabis is bad there is a book called "The Emperor Wears No Clothes" by Jack Herer........ I'm certain that you will bypass the opinion that your MSM helped you form & hopefully you may travel along the path towards the truth.

The Ross Grainger website contains about all you need to know about cannabis.

.... I'm certain that you will bypass the opinion that your MSM helped you form & hopefully you may travel along the path towards the truth.

The MSM are almost all pro-cannabis.

The Ross Grainger website contains about all you need to know about cannabis.

Does Ross Grainger offer a $50 000 dollar bounty on any of his facts being proven wrong?

Science knows what effect cannabis has on the brain. Psychosis & the promotion of aggression are not anywhere on the list.

You wouldn't want either in a workplace, but an alcohol "user" on a job is not as bad as a cannabis "user" on the same job. There is one key difference between the two

why do you think that?

maybe because you drink beer…..

Sponsored Links
Back