not allowing sleepers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
did I hear right? are old railway sleepers, the ones with tar, really bad for you and that they are now banded from sale or use for anything but for what they were originally intended?

Sponsored Links
there are moves afoot to prevent the sale of sleepers impregnated with creosote. Certainly for any used that are likely to come into contact with the food chain or children or water courses then it is banned. (i think it is an eu directive) I know more and more suppliers are now shying away from them

Maybe someone should inform some of my neighbours who used old railway sleepers to retain their gardens along the brook that forms our rear boundary.
I've pulled a few out that got washed away after over 30 years and use them as retaining walls for some raised beds.
A local pub surrounded the drinking garden with sleepers making both a fence and a place to sit and drink or eat. lol
Those sleepers were set lengthways into the ground making them both attractive in a fort style and also very firm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back