Not enough hot water from Pulsacoil 2000 (Gledhill) boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am after some advice for my electric Gledhill Pulsacoil 2000 boiler -

Has anyone had problems with the amount of hot water these produce when charged overnight on economy 7? For the last 2 months we only get enough hot water each day for about 2 quick showers (its a Gledhill Pulsacoil 2000, heats up over night for 8 hours on economy 7). We used to get enough for all day (3 showers, washing up etc) but now have to boost it every afternoon/evening.

Have had plumbers who know these boilers come to fix it a few times but they say nothing is wrong as we get hot water fine (its is hot then goes tepid after about 2 short showers) and everything else checks out, had bottom thermostat changed (top one also seems fine as get hot water when boosting in day) and element was checked and is fine (based on the 18 ohms am getting) we just just dont get enough hot water. One guy mentioned we would get less cause of the cold water being colder in winter but never had this issue last year!

Oh also the top up tank on top is not empty and there are no abnormal flashing red lights to inidcate a problem.

Any one else had similair problems with their gledhill boiler?

Sponsored Links
I would want to check the bottom immersion and stat is working properly first off.

I would want to check the bottom immersion and stat is working properly first off.

Problem is the guy changed the bottom thermostat and checked the element by checking the Ohms reading and he reckons its fine. Thing is as we are getting hot water in the morning and when we boost he says it must be working fine (if it wasnt we would wouldnt get any hot water), which I can understand but why then does the hot water run out so soon? Id prefer for it to give no hot water at all as would be easier to diagnose the problem!!

Boosting the hot water has nothing to do with the bottom element, only the top one.

If you are in a hard water area the element may be badly scaled up.

Has your E7 timer been checked over?

When the HW runs out at the tap, does the flow into the plate HE still feel hot?

Sponsored Links
Boosting the hot water has nothing to do with the bottom element, only the top one.

If you are in a hard water area the element may be badly scaled up.

Has your E7 timer been checked over?

When the HW runs out at the tap, does the flow into the plate HE still feel hot?

We get hot water in the morning after the E7 has heated up but only a small amount, if we got none then it would be the element i guess, but as we get some hot water it seems to be working. Could be scaled up i guess not sure.

It dosent have an internal timer i dont think, its conected to the electric meter in my flat and yes I had that changed as thought it could be that but still same problem and my electric heater works on the E7 setting ok.

Will feel the plate when hot water running to see, the plate should be hot yes when running hot water tap?

The flow into it definately should be.

Tried this evening and the flow is not hot, but then the boiler is not hot only luke warm. If I try the pipes in the morning when the boiler is hot then yes they are hot.

Its not the fact the boiler is hot and the pump isnt, its all luke warm by afternoon/evening instead of hot :(

I will try and not use any hot water in the day and see if its still hot in the evening

Thats eliminated a lot then.

It is back to a fault in the bottom immersion.

I would be tempted to replace it.

Sounds like the store is not full.
The internal cold fill pipe on these can get blocked, meaning the water in the little tank can't get to the store.
Try filling It through the open vent pipe or through the drain off point and see if it will take any water.

The problem you have is the flow rates are to high , if your heating water by electricity , you are limited to how much hot water you can heat up in a period of time , but if you take in to consideration that one shower equates to around 50 Lt of water so 2 showers is 100 Lt if you have a 150 Lt of stored water after pulling out 100 Lt the water temperature is not adequate to bath in , because as your pulling out the hot water its filling back up with cold , I would recommend to use an in line instant tankless water heater with your system, this will automatically recover the heat loss, so you are able to Finnish your shower in comfort,

The actual heat stored is very low! Far less than a hot water cylinder.

This is because it only uses the heat in the water from 82 C down to about 55 C which is not a lot!

You need to measure the flow rate of your shower!

And the time you stay in the shower. 3 min is all that's needed for hygiene.

Tony

Tony 3 minutes for a shower what are you a Marine , the minimum showering time is around 10 minutes , again the heated water is not enough to cope with the demand blame it on the thermostat or on the TRV but it all boils down to you are limited to the water you can heat up in a short period of time , I would cap my shower at 6LPM and cap my water temp at 40/42 dc* and heat the stored water to the hottest temperature the emersion heater can handle , and if that’s still not enough get your self an inline instant tankless water heater ,to recover the heat loss

Interesting how you seem to sign up to this forum and all your posts are just advertising this product.

Just by chance they are located in Cheshire like you.

It becomes pretty obvious that you are connected with them and just advertising your products.

You still have some way to go to catch up Gledhill though!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back