Not great site wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, not strictly in the UK but it’s 415V 50Hz and should have been to UK standards. It’s live and in use on an active site.

This is permanently left open in a small room with an open door, so when it rains it does get a little damp.

(1).jpg

This isn’t a close up, it’s a large SWA cable.

(2).jpg

Not sure if this one is live or not, looks burnt, possibly crushed by a large vehicle and has burnt due to a lack of fusing or breakers.

(3).jpg

Fusing of small items like fans isn’t necessary either.

(4).jpg (8).jpg

Tread carefully, especially when it’s raining.

(5).jpg (6).jpg (7).jpg (9).jpg

Some other H&S failures.

(10).jpg

Sponsored Links
Ok, not strictly in the UK but it’s 415V 50Hz and should have been to UK standards.
Why should it?

And your point is?

Not sure if this one is live or not, looks burnt, possibly crushed by a large vehicle
Possibly.

and has burnt due to a lack of fusing or breakers.
Possibly.

Or possibly this is uninformed speculation on your part.

And you know that the cause of that damage was lack of fusing, do you?

Or is this is uninformed speculation on your part?

View attachment 96294
And you know that that's not disconnected, and waiting 2nd fix, do you?

And you know that all of those are not disconnected and derelict, do you?

Some other H&S failures.
And you know that those containers haven't been cleaned out, and are awaiting re-use or disposal, do you?

WhydidIstart,
I wonder that too.

Ok, not strictly in the UK but it’s 415V 50Hz and should have been to UK standards.
Why should it?

A. That was the specification.

And your point is?

A. There's no point, just information.

Not sure if this one is live or not, looks burnt, possibly crushed by a large vehicle
Possibly.

and has burnt due to a lack of fusing or breakers.
Possibly.

Or possibly this is uninformed speculation on your part.

A. it is uninformed speculation on my part, hence my use of the word "possibly".

And you know that the cause of that damage was lack of fusing, do you?

A. The damage is fire damage and the fires were caused by overheated fan motors that were not adequately fused. Would a fuse have guaranteed no fire? I can only say it would have made it much less likely.

View attachment 96294
And you know that that's not disconnected, and waiting 2nd fix, do you?

A. All installation work is complete and it is live as you can see the connected equipment operating.

And you know that all of those are not disconnected and derelict, do you?

A. As stated at the top of the post, it's live and on an operational site. If you use the definition of derelict as "in a very poor condition as a result of lack of maintenance and neglect" then yes, you could apply that definition here, but it's still a busy and operational site.

Some other H&S failures.
And you know that those containers haven't been cleaned out, and are awaiting re-use or disposal, do you?

A. Yes, I know the containers haven't been cleaned out and leaving them there was the disposal.

WhydidIstart,
I wonder that too.

You seem unhappy today...

Last edited:
I remember when working in Algeria I used motor vehicle bulbs and a fluorescent lamp starter all in series with a little paint to make our Christmas lights. Only thing wrong with it is we should not have been celebrating Christmas in a Muslim country. No one cared about the health and safety. When in Rome the saying goes. Even in the Falklands we did things not really permitted in the UK, cable joints under ground using Denso tape for example.

As to H²SO4 again it came as concentrated and we had to dilute. What wrong with that? In UK batteries supplied as dry charged, not in Algeria I had to fill and charge the batteries before fitting.

It seems in the USA they have advised people Europe is dangerous in spite of their road traffic accident records showing 4 times the amount of fatalities to UK per car on the road, and having more people killed by children under 10 with fire arms than we have in total.

As said when in Rome!

Sponsored Links
Exactly, for example you can see the first distribution panel didn't have any Earth connections for any of the supplies. Compared to the UK with rules stating that you need tools to access panels in the workplace, etc - there it's just up to you not to touch the open panel and to be fair, you don't!

Yes, things catch fire more often and equipment (and people) are damaged more often, but if it can be made to work again by bypassing the damaged breaker and taping together some wires, then that’s seen as a good result.

It's ok for me as I can insist that systems are shut down and isolated before working on them, but for the local workers I have seen them forced to make connections to fiddly screw terminals next to live and bare 3-phase 690V AC supplies which I don't think is right.

Arr the ex-pat world. I am sure many of us have been where we are sure some law or regulation some where should protect us. However in Hong Kong I was on a silly HK$ per month the best paid job I ever had and for that silly wage I took silly risks. I was on 4 times the wages I could expect in the UK and I was happy to take the money and run.

It seems in the USA they have advised people Europe is dangerous in spite of their road traffic accident records showing 4 times the amount of fatalities to UK per car on the road
Ah, statistics....... Comparison on a per-car basis doesn't take into account the fact that on average Americans drive many more miles than Brits, nor the fact that many parts of the U.S. can experience much worse driving conditions at certain times of the year.

...but the U.S. is so much bigger than U.K. so there must be much greater distances between vehicles and yet they hit each other more. :)

US people are said to be unusually reluctant to wear car seat belts, compared to developed countries.

The deaths per billion Km driven are :-

United Kingdom 3.6
United States of America 7.1

source :- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

This ratio of approx 2 to 1 tallies with figures I was given in Maryland in 2002. One reason for higher deaths per Km driven in the USA might be that in some states the driving test is nothing more than driving the car round a few cones in a parking lot with a simple theory test. source :- students at College Park, Maryland

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back