Caravan site PIR with pics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Continuing my ongoing PIR of a farm complex with various functions - today's fun was a small caravan site (5 pitches). Some issues came up and I thought someone on here might find it interesting.

All looked reasonably ok, until I started testing and investigating.

To be fair, there was nothing that was going to burn down the place imminently (compared to some installs I've seen!) but this is one of the pitch installs:

So far so 'neat'

one of the other pitches (I removed the cover)

Seems the installer was a retired DNO guy - wonder how much stuff he stockpiled in his garage over the years :D

That probably explains what I then found...

The cutout at the first pitch :

shows the incoming SWA, fed from a barn maybe 100m away

This was protected at source by a 63A cartridge fuse and a 100ma (non time delayed) RCD.

Despite everything being TT, they exported the earth to the first pitch, but then installed an earth rod beside each pitch (no protection apart from being well hidden in the undergrowth)

The links from the first cut out are all then run in straight concentric cable, a sample of which I found lurking in the grass:

Something else that walked from the work van I presume....

Unfortunately, at that point he seemingly lost the plot, as the cut out in pitch 2's box separately fed separately the cut outs in pitch 3 & 5 and the CU in pitch 4. Pitch 2 CU was fed from the intake of the cut out in its box, so bypassed it entirely.

Hence Pitch 3 was fused in order: 63A , 100A , 63A (All BS88 or 1361)

While Pitch 5 had 63A, 100A, 100A

Clearly the installer misunderstood the anti-discrimination laws :LOL:

My view would be that the cut outs are not necessary and could be replaced with henley blocks - the cable has overcurrent and RCD protection at source after all. At the very least the discrimination will have to be sorted and the isolation implications made clear.

All I have to do now is work out which faults should be code 2 and which can be left as code 4....

I believe that the straight concentric doesn't comply with 7671 due to unsheathed neutral, but in short runs between pitches (partly underground in plastic conduit and out of easy access) would it be considered dangerous? My initial thought would be code 4.

Obviously there are serious discrimination issues and I would veer slightly towards code 2 for the cut out issues, but not sure about the rcd discrimination (should be time delayed at source) - code 4 I would say, because the issue is more one of annoyance having to traipse 100m to reset the rcd rather than presenting a danger.

7671 states IPx4 (splashes) for electrical equipment in caravan sites, but doesn't make clear whether the enclosure would make it compliant or not - the CU clearly isn't.

It also requires IP3x which a couple of the CU don't meet, so another code 2 imo.

There are numerous other faults that will be going down as code 4s, but anyone spot the other code 2 I will noting?

It's not that 7671 requires each socket to have its own isolation, as I will note that as a code 4.

Any views from those with more experience of caravan installs welcome.

Gavin

Sponsored Links
Top of CU in top pic not to IP4X
Why the use of silly foam? Does this create a fire risk?
Don't think split con is in the regs (17th edn) any more for burial direct in the ground.
Wire sizes appear a bit on the small size for a 100m run to me for VD, possibly for overcurrent and fault current purposes too.
Overcurrent and RCD protection is covering two sockets, should have one each (17th edn).
Is it a 32A MCB protecting the sockets?
What size are the earthing conductors and how are they installed?

I would think the weired sequence of fuses only deserves a code 4, yeah there isn't any discriminiation but the chances of any of the fuses blowing is pretty damn low.

The lack of a time delay on the RCD at source is a far worse discrimination issue IMO.

Well spotted :LOL: except that 708 calls for IP3X on caravan sites.

I guess that is why they used the foam on some of the other boxes, but hadn't considered the fire risk - I guess I could note that as a code 3 - requires further investigation of the manufacturer of foam, etc.

Don't think split con is in the regs (17th edn) any more for burial direct in the ground.
Wire sizes appear a bit on the small size for a 100m run to me for VD, possibly for overcurrent and fault current purposes too.
Overcurrent and RCD protection is covering two sockets, should have one each (17th edn).
Is it a 32A MCB protecting the sockets?
What size are the earthing conductors and how are they installed?

The straight concentric isn't in the regs I'm sure, its a DNO thing, but I think a code 4 is adequate as I don't see it as a huge risk.

The VD is right on the borderline I would say - although they have 230+ at the pitches because of the high initial voltage that is common round here - better hope they never actually decide to harmonise :eek:

Yes they are 32A protecting the sockets and that is the code 2 I was thinking of. - you win today's prize of a healthy glow from being right - enjoy :LOL:

In fact they only need one socket per pitch so removing one is probably the easiest way to comply, although I would say that not having individual isolation is probably only a code 4.

I think this discussion has been had before on here, but of course another way to make the mcb comply would be to install a separate ring main from it, thereby making the caravan socket a spur at the origin of the ring and hence acceptable :rolleyes:

I think I will suggest a more sensible route of downgrading to 16 or 20A though - Installing in 4mm is another option but since the sockets are 16A I don't see a lot of point if there is only one per mcb.

The earthing conductors are all 16mm and correctly installed, albeit with no protection during the run (above ground) to the earth rod. I will be suggesting some protection for the rod at least, in the form of one of those little plastic boxes rather than a full earth pit.

Each pitch has its own rod, with no exported earth between them, and on the whole very good readings of 4Ohm or so, which just goes to show how damp a farm can get....

Sponsored Links
I would think the weired sequence of fuses only deserves a code 4, yeah there isn't any discriminiation but the chances of any of the fuses blowing is pretty damn low.

Fair point - the only issue I have is that someone might believe the cut out in box 2 is isolation for the local CU - though that could be solved with some sensible labelling.

The lack of a time delay on the RCD at source is a far worse discrimination issue IMO.

It certainly makes doing 5I tests on the local RCD a real bugger!!

Well spotted :LOL: except that 708 calls for IP3X on caravan sites.
Yep, 708 calls for a minimum of IP3X. The tops of enclosures should be IP4X under the general requirements of the regs, (416.2.2).
416.2.1 (IP2X or IPXXB to other surfaces) will be overruled by section 708 requiring these surfaces to be a minimum of IP3X.

I think this discussion has been had before on here, but of course another way to make the mcb comply would be to install a separate ring main from it, thereby making the caravan socket a spur at the origin of the ring and hence acceptable
Nope, Ring final circuits should only be used to supply accessories to BS1363, not suitable for use with commando sockets.
Each socket should have its own MCB, iirc there is a part in the OSG which suggests a number of 16A commandos can be used if supplied by a 20A protective device however the 16th edition of the regs and the 17th both require each outlet on a caravan site to have an individual protective device, hence 16A MCBs maximum will be most appropriate. You can use RCBOs, to comply with the 17th edition they would need to be double pole i.e. the RCD has to cut the neutral as well as the phase.

It certainly makes doing 5I tests on the local RCD a real b*****r!!
One way of cheating - connect the green lead of your tester to the incoming neutral of the RCD ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back