Not hot enough!

Sponsored Links
The room thermostat clicks around 18/19C even though it is set at 25C.
Do you mean that you can hear the thermostat click and turn the boiler off when the temperature rises to 18/19C? Or does it click at 18/19C when you adjust the stat? If the former, then possibly the stat is faulty. What stat is it?

The Remeha Avanta boilers are Dutch, not Italian, and have a good reputation. Which model do you have? These boilers can be fitted with Weather Compensation and OpenTherm controls, so yours could have this and the system may need adjusting to get the parameters correct.

Hi
The boiler does not turn off when I adjust the stat downwards, the stat just clicks.

The boiler is a Remeha Avanta 24s.

Thanks for your help.

Hi
The boiler does not turn off when I adjust the stat downwards, the stat just clicks. The boiler is a Remeha Avanta 24s.
That's a 24 kW system boiler, so it should be big enough for a just-built house, which has to meet the current insulation standards.

If the stat just clicks and does not turn the boiler off, there is something wrong with the wiring. I wonder how much previous experience the installers had with the Avanta? Wiring can be tricky as the boiler will work with many different control systems.

You missed one of my questions. ;) Which thermostat do you have?

New Question Which programmer?

If you don't have it, here's the link to the Avanta Plus Installation Manual.

The display and four buttons may look simple but they provide access to all the settings and you can read such things as flow and return temperatures etc. It's all in the manual. I wouldn't alter any setting, in case the developer says its your fault, just find out what the settings are.

Sponsored Links
I have a Honeywell stat and a Honeywell ST9400C 7 day programmer (with the heating set to run on continuous). I have the installation and service manual. Would it be worth me trying to read the setting information off? It would mean nothing to me.

I have a Honeywell stat and a Honeywell ST9400C 7 day programmer (with the heating set to run on continuous).
Good kit. Is the Stat a dial type or digital? What a pity they did not spend a few pounds more and put in an Opentherm system with weather compensator. Would have cost them about £100!

I have the installation and service manual. Would it be worth me trying to read the setting information off? It would mean nothing to me.
The temperature settings would be the most useful as well as the fan speed as this determines the boiler output. See para 2.9.6

So far so good:
readings as follows:

t1- 75
t2 - 68
t3 - --
t4 - --
FL - 9.2
nF - 16

Hope that helps?

Might be worth asking the developers (or whoever you bought the house from) if they would supply you with the design room temperatures for the system installed. Also ask what the external ambient design temperature is as well.

We did bring up the size of the radiators in a couple of conversations before completion but they assured us they were OK and have provided us with the SAP paperwork with a SAP energy Rating of 81. Not 100% sure if that covers room temperature regulations or in fact if there are any. I can bring up your points with the Developer next week and see what he says. Thanks for the information.

t1- 75
t2 - 68
t3 - --
t4 - --
FL - 9.2
nF - 16
1. There is no boiler temperature (t3). Was the boiler alight when you took the readings ?

If not check again when the boiler is working at max.

2. Does the Hot Water get hot enough? Also how long does it take to reheat after a bath/shower?

3. nF is the fan speed and a speed of 16 gives an output of about 8kW.

4. At those temperatures the boiler would not be condensing - the return needs to be below 60°C and preferably nearer 55°C.

5. The temperature difference is only 7°C. A condensing boiler works best with a temperature difference of 15-20°C.

Definitely time to call in the developers.

In reply to 1 & 2

1) I turned the stat right down - the boiler stopped. I turned it up to 25C and the boiler started after a while I tried t3 and t4 again but both were showing readings of '--'.

2) We have copious amounts of hot water. We have a 150 litre tank and don't use that much so we never run short and it is always HOT. Currently I have it down to heat for 1 hour a day, only two adults in the house.

Thank you all for your help and support, it gave me the confidence to go and talk with the developer. A fault has been identified in the plumbers' calculations of rad size which will now be replaced.

I appreciate the comments on the boiler settings and will ask them to review the situation when they arrive. There is still no boiler temperature and no outside temperature and today's readings are 76 flow and 70 return so maybe there is adjusting to be done there.

Yes , you have a 6 degree differential in stead of 20, that is way off.
This alone can cause a 10% jump in gas use.

This question sounds easy but I guess the answer will not be straight forward. What should the readings be (or in what sort of range)? i just need to get a basic understanding so that I can have a meaningful discussion with the plumber. Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Very simple; return must be 20 degrees lower than flow, and the return must always stay under 55 C.
Standard thing on every domestic condensing boiler in the country.

If the return measures 70, either somebody who is not competent has been fiddling with it, or it was set up by a clown in the first place.
As your rads appear wrong as well, the latter seems more than just possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back