Not so very Fasthosts - web hosting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that this isn't really software related but I want to share my very negative experience of dealing with Fasthosts.co.uk

As a HTC touch pro owner I am regularly reflashing my phone using roms cooked by NRG at the xda-developers.com site.

As a sign of my appreciation of his hard work i decided to open a new hosting account to host his roms in order to take some of the load off his servers.

I noticed that Fasthosts very offering 20% off for the first 3 months. They are a large firm with adverts all over the place so I decided to try them out. After all if I was unhappy I would just cancel the account and walk away.

I additionally registered a domain name with them. I normally use 123-reg but as they are part of the same company I thought I would do it via Fasthosts.

I generally register domains as trade rather than personal incase I want to use them commercially in the future- this was a grave error. The Fasthosts checkout doesn't allow you to register the domain as trade and the space as personal.

Within minutes of the account being activated I noticed that their backend control panel is very flaky- I tried to add a user to a newly created MYSQL database, it kept failing so I opened a support ticket.

After 13 hours I had not had a reply so I sent a new ticket asking for my account to be terminated- 24 hours later I got a reply telling me to phone customer services. This is a rather expensive process from my mobile (0870=20p/m)- I hung up after 10 minutes and sent another support request to cancel the account, again same response.

A number of months passed an I sent yet another ticket- this time I was told that I was locked into a 12 month contract.

It seems that I have waived my rights to a cooling off period under the distance selling act by registering as a business user- I explained that this was an error on my behalf.

By taking the slightly discounted option I also lost any rights to cancel before the 12 months (they claim that there is a box that you can tick if you want to pay the full price and have a cooling off period).

I have also noticed that if there are insufficient funds on my card they will hit me with a £20 charge each time they represent the transaction- this strikes me as being punitive.

Then to top things off I notice that I have a window of a week or so before the end of the 12 months to terminate the account otherwise I am locked in for longer.

Yeah I know that the onus is on the consumer to read the Terms and Conditions but given the size of Fasthosts I didn't think for one minute that they would make money in such an underhand way.

I have accounts with reg-domains, Bluehosts, Total Choice Hosting and Vpsville- I would recommend all of them, none of them would ever use the tactics employed by Fasthosts.

I am luckier than many other Fasthost customers though- I have heard of customers in the same boat paying hundreds per month for dedicated servers that don't even work.

Who ever you go with read the T&Cs and ask what the typical support response times are!!!

Sponsored Links

All hosting, email and dedicated server accounts are subject to a 12 month minimum contract term.

Cancellations

•After the minimum contract period, customers may cancel any package by contacting the Customer Care team on +44 (0) 1452 561858 (Monday to Friday, 9:00am to 5:30pm UK time). Customers must provide details of the account/package to close, including the account Owner Password for verification. Fasthosts will not, under any circumstances, close an account without first confirming the Owner Password.
•Customers will be required to complete a Closure Confirmation form, authorising the permanent removal of all website and email services on the account, from our system.
•On receipt of a completed Closure Confirmation form, the account will be scheduled to close. Fasthosts will acknowledge the closure by sending an email to the email address registered on the account.
•If Fasthosts do not receive the completed Closure Confirmation form within 14 days of sending, the cancellation request will be discarded and the account/package will remain open.

Just went through the T&Cs again- so I have to phone them (not an easy task) and wait for a form to turn up which I then have to return to them within 14 days.

WTF can customers not do it through their support ticketing system, afterall you have to do it through your control panel which requires that you use your username and password

as the service doesn't work as stated
threaten to get trading standards involved, also tell them you are writing to the tv programme watchdog and they might want to make sure they have a representative free to appear on the show as they will probably get a lot of attention albeit negative from it.

Sponsored Links
Back