Not something I’ve seen before…

CBW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I attended this today, boiler fitted approx 6 months ago, not working. After some initial investigation I found the mcb had tripped. Replaced the 3 amp fuse and tried again - pop goes the fuse and mcb again.

Checked inside the boiler for wiring, not the best and thought it must be a strand touching. Put connections into a wago, reset mcb and new fuse still went pop. Removed face plate for fcu - couldn’t see any wiring issues, removed receiver and presented with scorching between 2 Live terminals? Photo attached - any ideas? I’ve sorted the boiler, just wanted feedback as to if anyone knows why this has happened? Could it be the short link? - it’s L to L though

Thanks

Attachments

• 9EE599D7-7C73-4219-8A6E-31A0701D08FA.jpeg
    9EE599D7-7C73-4219-8A6E-31A0701D08FA.jpeg
    217.7 KB · Views: 222
  • B77B37CC-D295-4594-B1A4-88FCAC253C59.jpeg
    B77B37CC-D295-4594-B1A4-88FCAC253C59.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 225
Sponsored Links
The scorching looks historic, there isn't any insulation damage on the red link wire (unless you fitted that?).

Is it possible that there was an OpenTherm module in that space and someone blew it to pieces by applying mains to it?

Edit: No, I'm wrong with the OpenTherm module guess, the BDR91 doesn't seem to be offered with anything in that space.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Yes - opentherm not supported by new or previous boiler. Scorching is definitely only last day or so, afaik, because it stopped the boiler working. Only way I could get the boiler working again was to remove the thermostat, and the red link wasn’t me (but was a colleague) - I’m not that rough.

Edit: The receiver is the same age as the boiler.

Last edited:
Do you see the loose copper strand in the 1st photo (neutral)

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
....and isn't there also a loose strand from the L conductor, perilously close to the one on the N conductor? ...#

View attachment 325257

Kind Regards, John
Yep, spotted that however:
Checked inside the boiler for wiring, not the best and thought it must be a strand touching. Put connections into a wago, reset mcb and new fuse still went pop.
Also, why would the scorching happen at the receiver end?

I propose:

The owner had a ****ty wire connector in here to provide a link/240v somewhere else and this shat itself because it was arcing or something then it gave up the ghost causing the heating to stop at which point the owner removed the evidence for fear of the damage voiding the boiler warranty and call you out.

"No idea mate, it was working ok and then i went for a dump and come back downstairs and it was a bit pearl harbour and then i looked at the boiler and it was off.." ...

I propose:

The owner had a ****ty wire connector in here to provide a link/240v somewhere else and this shat itself because it was arcing or something then it gave up the ghost causing the heating to stop at which point the owner removed the evidence for fear of the damage voiding the boiler warranty and call you out.

"No idea mate, it was working ok and then i went for a dump and come back downstairs and it was a bit pearl harbour and then i looked at the boiler and it was off.." ...
Nope, social housing (so countless free calls) and she’s an oap so I doubt it. It was our gas installer engineers who installed the boiler wireless thermostat and completed the wiring. Even if they had tinkered with it, it wouldn’t explain the fuse popping/mcb tripping afterwards.

I guess the receiver is broken? In which case, my money is on a component in the receiver failing, stopping the boiler working and also causing the scorching you see.

Only way I could get the boiler working again was to remove the thermostat,
As @hovertoast suggests, when you say you got the boiler working again, by removing the thermostat - does that mean the trips stopped when the stat was removed, or did the trips stop before, and removing the thermostat allowed the system to operate?

• Thanks
As @hovertoast suggests, when you say you got the boiler working again, by removing the thermostat - does that mean the trips stopped when the stat was removed, or did the trips stop before, and removing the thermostat allowed the system to operate?
It only worked/stopped tripping after removal of the receiver wiring, once I reinstated the boiler to the spur (rewired and managed to wire it up to previous ebus thermostat left on the wall). Like I said, it tripped whilst in the Wago connectors, so conclusion must be the receiver had become faulty somewhere, causing a dead short.

so conclusion must be the receiver had become faulty somewhere, causing a dead short.
It may be worth metering the resistance between N and the other terminals - hopefully you haven't got a batch of these that have some sort of defect, or you may be getting a few more call-outs...

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back