Expert advice needed please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve bought a property and although a fairly competent DIYer, am happy to leave the electrics (other than the real basic stuff) and gas to the experts. Just after a bit advice before I call in a spark so I can keep up with what's going on.

There’s an electric double oven and a separate induction hob both with their own supply from the consumer unit. I think the hob is probably OK but I’m concerned about the oven unless I’m missing something. Both hob and oven each have about 7m of heavy twin and earth cable (possibly 6mm - width of sheath is about 14mm - earth is solid, L & N strands) that runs to a 32 Amp cooker switch and then (same size cable) to the appliance. The manuals have been left and the hob states (7.4kw) it needs a ‘30A rated fuse’ and has a B32 MCB in the CU, I’m assuming that’s OK? But for the oven (4.25kw) it states ‘30A fused spur’ which I again, assume means it should also be a B32 MCB, but my concern is it has a B50 in place! Could there be a reason for this that isn’t obvious to the likes of myself?

Any advice greatly appreciated, cheers.

Sponsored Links
Both hob and oven each have about 7m of heavy twin and earth cable ... that runs to a 32 Amp cooker switch and then (same size cable) to the appliance.
???

The manuals have been left and the hob states (7.4kw) it needs a ‘30A rated fuse’ and has a B32 MCB in the CU, I’m assuming that’s OK?
Yes.

But for the oven (4.25kw) it states ‘30A fused spur’ which I again, assume means it should also be a B32 MCB, but my concern is it has a B50 in place! Could there be a reason for this that isn’t obvious to the likes of myself?
Well, 20A would do. I don't know why the instructions would state 32A for 4.25kW, but -

with a couple of provisos 50A could be satisfactory. It can't draw more than it needs for 4.25kW.

Both hob and oven would be fine on one 32A circuit as are most cookers in the country.

Thanks for the prompt reply - the '7m' bit is the distance (7 metres) from the CU to the 32A switch, didn't know if that had any bearing. The oven MCB is labelled up 'cooker' in the CU, I'm guessing previously a supply for a cooker rather than just oven. The supply to the hob looks like it may have previously been for an electric shower as 'shower' can be seen scrubbed out and 'hob' label over it, again I guess they've used this as it's other side of kitchen to the oven. I'll get it checked out but just concerned in case the 50A MCB was a danger.

Cheers.

Thanks for the prompt reply - the '7m' bit is the distance (7 metres) from the CU to the 32A switch, didn't know if that had any bearing.
Ok. No, that's not far.

The oven MCB is labelled up 'cooker' in the CU, I'm guessing previously a supply for a cooker rather than just oven. The supply to the hob looks like it may have previously been for an electric shower as 'shower' can be seen scrubbed out and 'hob' label over it, again I guess they've used this as it's other side of kitchen to the oven.
I would think you are correct.

I'll get it checked out but just concerned in case the 50A MCB was a danger.
It's not really a problem.

You could have a huge oven on the 6mm² cable

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back