Not yet a DIY disaster, but the buying of parts is..!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, so my plan was to completely refurbish the bathroom... gut the whole room, fit new whirlpool bath with Aqualisa Quartz pumped shower over it, new vanity unit, WC, PVC cladding to walls and ceiling, and new flooring.

Plan A was to get "phase 1" (ripping old bath out, cladding the walls and fitting bath and shower) done, over several weekends, then take a couple of weeks off to finish it off and then do "phase 2", (ripping the old basin, WC and shower cubicle out and re-do walls, fit vanity and WC).

So far I'm about 4 weeks behind plan due to problems getting the bits I want...!

1. Had earmarked the bath we wanted to get, but when I went to order it I couldn't contact the suppliers by phone or email. Eventually found it at another supplier for £40 more.. that arrived last week.

2. Ordered the wall mounted bath filler, and matching basin tap, the site quoted 2-4 weeks delivery. After almost 4 weeks I chased the company about the order and was told " we've been trying to contact you, the manufacturer no longer make them"..!!
The found me some different taps that were suitable and said they'd be with me at the end of last week.... I haven't got them yet, and apparently the couriers say they WERE delivered last Friday.... so 6 weeks after paying my money, I still don't have any taps, so I can't finish the plumbing or cladding the walls.

3. Ordered several tubes of silicone sealant Monday (with "same day dispatch") for fixing up the PVC cladding.... hasn't arrived yet (Friday), and after phoning the suppliers twice today, they still didn't get back to me to say what had happened to the order.

4. I'm getting the PVC cladding from a well known DIY store and had my £400 pound shopping list in my "online basket". Sunday I checked and everything was shown as "in stock", so I went over to get everything I needed..... but in fact only half of what I wanted was available..!
I bought what they had, and was told they were having another delivery on Wednesday.
Wednesday evening I rang the store and quoted the code numbers, and was told they had plenty in stock., so off I went again, and guess what... they didn't have any new stock... so a completely wasted 40 mile journey :mad:

(It sounds like its quite common for them to have a delivery and just enter whats on the invoice into the computer system without checking the items have actually been delivered..) :confused:

Anyway, after I had a "discussion" with the manager, he said if I put in an order, they'd pay the delivery, which won't be until end of next week at the earliest..!

So...... the 2 weeks I'd booked off start next week, and I don't have any taps, half the PVC cladding, or sealant......

The actual DIY will be a doddle after this...!

Sponsored Links
Contact the couriers to see who signed for any goods reported as 'delivered' and check with your neighbours, a/ to see if they have them, b/ to ask if they have seen any couriers knocking at your door.
Couriers carry insurance for loss of goods in transit though the amount of cover may only be small, (£50 or so).
Threaten suppliers with trading standards if they can't comply with their obligations.

Thanks Conny,

Yes, as soon as I heard that the couriers had said they had delivered I checked with all the neighbours... no packages or signs of a van... and my son had been at home with specific orders to look out for deliveries...

The shop was pretty good, (once I actually got hold of someone) and they ordered another set of taps straight away, which should be here Monday...they said they'll deal with the couriers.

I had a similar situation with Halfords over car parts, they said everything was available, as I was going on a Euro tour, and had booked a mobile mechanic to fit the parts, but they turned round to me and said this and that wasn't available, so they cancelled they entire order.

I spoke to the manager, and he said, well we rang you, but you didn't answer, so we cancelled it all...yeah because I was at work!

So I went down there, ank kicked off big style, had a stand up argument with the manager, several customers left, they sent me a gift voucher of £25..I used it as a toilet accessory, and returned it to them.

Sponsored Links
Ok, an update...

Sealant arrived yesterday...

Taps arrived today...!!!!!!!!!! :D as did the rest of the bathroom furniture I ordered 3 days ago...
...strange how one company can send a pallet load in 3 days, but another company takes 6 weeks for a medium parcel.....

But now one further complication... still no cladding (I've rung the DIY store 3 times in the last 2 days and they've said they'll ring me back each time... so far nothing..), so I can't put the bath in, even thought the plumbing is done now... and I've got a sparky coming on Tuesday to wire the bath in..!

As an absolute last resort, I'll have to fit the bath and clad around it later, but I'm reluctant to do that as I'll have to stand in the bath to do it and I'm scared of dropping a tool or a big dollop of sealant on the bath.
... and I'd planned to clad the ceiling and fit the recessed lighting after I'd done the walls, so that will be even more difficult with the bath in place....

oh well...... maybe a miracle will happen and I'll hear that my cladding will be delivered tomorrow....
:cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back