Notches and Holes in Joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has been rewired several times, had storage heaters fitted a some point, it also an old iron gas pipe!

So now when you lift the floorboards the joists (6"x2") are littered with notches and holes for central heating plumbing and all the new & old electrics

Non seem to be excessive, a few 22mm pipe runs are the biggest, but they are all in the same locations

Is this common, should I be concerned & what should I look out for?

Sponsored Links
Yes it's common and not a problem unless the holes/notches are in the wrong place or too large.

Take a photo and you'll get some feedback as to whether its ok or not.

the central heating pipes run right down the middle of the kitchen ceiling, so I guess they are in the wrong place. they are notched for 22mm pipes, I can see why they have done this as it’s the easiest route upstairs (the wiring also follows the same route but not so central)

the kitchen span is 9ft6

Sponsored Links
the central heating pipes run right down the middle of the kitchen ceiling, so I guess they are in the wrong place. they are notched for 22mm pipes, I can see why they have done this as it’s the easiest route upstairs (the wiring also follows the same route but not so central)

the kitchen span is 9ft6
That in itself isn't abnormal.

LABC guidance is

'Notches can only be made in the top OR bottom of the joists, (not both) within the permitted area to a maximum of 35mm.

Holes may only be made on the joist's centreline within the permitted area to a maximum diameter of 65mm.

Additional holes must be at least three diameters (centre to centre) apart.'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back