Notched Joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 50’s ex-council house, I’ve noticed that there are quite a few holes & notches cut in the joists

The house has been rewired twice and also had storage heaters fitted & removed, it also has an old gas pipe notched in-to the joists

It had Gas central heating fitted prior to my purchase (think this was fitted in 2002)

I have noticed that the main piping for the heating runs across the upstairs floor with two notches cut right though the centre of the joists

None of the notches or holes I have seen meet the rules laid down in the current building regs, was this common practice or have the regs changed?

Sponsored Links
It's always been common practice.
Houses don't fall down due to it, just the floor gets more bouncy/noisy a the finishes below can crack and other minor issues.
Our big bedroom had the issue, so I glued and screwed some plywood and added herring bone struts. Helped a lot. If you didn't notice any issue then don't worry.

Same here seemed common practice, I checked out the latest regs on notched joists and as I presumed every one of my upstairs back bedroom floor joists has a massive chunk notched out in possibly the worst place it could be (bottom centre). The house is still standing so I'm not worried at all about it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back