Deep joist notch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20160511_195151.jpg
Just started redoing my bathroom and lifted some floorboards and noticed a serious bit of notching in the joist for the sink waste. Basically its a 7" joist and the notch is 4" deep. Is also only 30cm from the outside wall which am I right makes it even worse. I was wondering if I could screw a brace down the sides of the joist or something? I know it must have been like it for at least 10 years but still looks wrong.

Sponsored Links
If it's only 30cm from the end of the joist, it's not as serious as if it were near the middle.
The adjacent joists will also be helping.

Have any neighbouring joists been notched this deep?

Not as bad no the waste goes through the next joist but it's a hole drilled near the centre of it instead of a notch.
Thanks for your replies

Sponsored Links
If it's only 30cm from the end of the joist, it's not as serious as if it were near the middle.

Is that like saying losing one arm is not as serious as losing two, and someone will be helping put your jumpers on? :rolleyes:

That's now performing as a 30mm joist. There are no span tables for 30mm joists in between 175 joists.

Perhaps a block in the notch and some timber, ply or steel plate across the notch would make it even less serious?

That's what I was wondering about. Screwing maybe a bit of 2" x 1" across the notch on each side of the joist? If I take it right up to the wall and a fair bit further the other side? Got to help a bit hasn't it?

I had to laugh at woody's comment.

I would be tempted to "reinforce" that timber with a length of timber above the pipe, it might not resolve the problem, but it would make me sleep a lot easier at night. Either side use two coach bolts, perhaps 500mm apart. I can't remember the name of the metal work that's like croc's teeth and circulate - the things you always cut your fingers on. Then tighten the **** out of all of it. Make sure the hole for the coach bolts are a 'tight fit', so you need a hammer to whack it through the hole.

Or, if you can replace the joist and route the pipe correctly !

Is that like saying losing one arm is not as serious as losing two, and someone will be helping put your jumpers on? :rolleyes:

Not a good analogy, I would suggest.

Perhaps losing a fingernail might be a more apt analogy. You of all people will have seen things not done 'by the book', but which still seem to work;)

Not a good analogy, I would suggest.

Perhaps losing a fingernail might be a more apt analogy. You of all people will have seen things not done 'by the book', but which still seem to work;)

I like mine better.

Yes it might be OK, but the OP can't really be advised to leave it, since he now has the opportunity to do something with it.

Thanks for all the advice. I will use some wood to strengthen it above the pipe then. Will drilling through the joist for the bolts not weaken the joist further tho?

Putting in wood isn't going to do very much; find a local metal shop, and get 2 pieces 3mm thick about 50x250, and put one either side of the joist, then just use a coach bolt either end of the plate. Admittedly, it's been like that for 10 years, so it's not overly serious, but if you're going to do the job, at least do it properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back