Notched floor joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the middle of renovating a clients house and have just stumbled across some 8x2 floor joist on the first foor that someone has notched on the bottom.
The notches are about a metre from the joist hanger and are about 5 inches wide and 1 inch deep into the joist.
I'd like to strengthen the joist to be absolutely sure there's no problems at a later date.
I know the thorough way would be to bolt on some more 8x2 over the notches but I was wondering if there's a simpler way that wouldn't involve taking down more of the ceiling? (as I have limited access) I also have the difficulty that there are a few electric cables that would get in the way of the extra timber.
Given that the timber has been weakened in a way that may cause the lower face to spread during failure, would some sort of builders band/Plate fixed to the lower face to act in tension do, or is the thorough way the only way?

Sponsored Links
Light duty restraint straps would do the trick. 30x2.5mm, I'd have at least 300mm each side to get plenty of screws into the timber.

Builders band might be a bit too light duty for 200x50 timbers if they are highly stressed, although as the notch is only an inch into the timber it would probably be OK.

Thanks RonnyRaygun for the quick response. This sounds ideal, plus I've got some in my garage, so happy days!! :D

Ronny. Would he NEED to strengthen the joists?
If they are 8x2, my guess is that the span will be around 4m. The notches are then only about 1/4 span away from the bearing.
Think of the b.m. diagram for a uniformly loaded beam - by the time it gets to the notch position (where the joist is effectively a 7x2), the bending stress will be well below what a 7x2 can take.
(this is assuming there is no unusual loading pattern).
If I was in the OPs shoes, I wouldn't bother.
Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
I have to admit Tony I didn't initially notice that the notches were only 1m from the edge and had based my comment on a central notch.
I had noticed my mistake before you commented, but I was being a bit tardy in replying (mainly because I was hoping no-one would pull me up on it - should have known you wouldn't let me get away with it!)
I agree though that at 1m from the edge it probably isn't necessary as the stresses will be much lower than at the centre.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back