Bedroom Floor "bouncing"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the bedrooms in my property seems to have a bit of bounce in the floor.

The room is approx 4m by 2.5m

Across the 2.5m nearly every joist has been notched to allow the pipes from the combi boiler (in airing cupboard) to be run around the property.

I am thinking that this has lest the joists weakened and this is causing the spring in the floor. The spring is not apparent the nearer to the end of the joists and is more apparent from where the notches are and onwards past the centre of the room to maybe 1m away from the end of the joist where as i say there seems to be no give at all.

Now i understand that it is possible to strengthen these joists by fastening some wood along side the existing joist.

Where i am stuck though is as to how often it needs to be fixed to the original joist. Also is it essential that the strengthening piece runs the full length of the old joist as this may prove extremely difficult. Could i rof example attach the strengthener before where the give in the floor starts and finish it after where it stops.

Also what size timber should i use? I am sure the joists are 8x2 inches and what is best to use as a fixing and how often?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi,are you sure its the beams and not just loose floor boards,if problem is only by heating pipes it may be that floor boards were lifted and not refitted correctly??ive recently replaced some loose floorboards and were there were big cuts in exsisting beams ive screwed new timber to beam approx same width as beam and 18" in lengh for extra support to stop floor board dipping.hope this helps...

it is definatley not the floorboards. If someone bounces the floor in the bedroom the ceiling downstairs can be seen to move as well.

Sounds like to me no herringbone or noggins was fitted to prevent floor bouncing, if not, floorboards would have to be remove to fit them :cry:
pic264.jpg

Sponsored Links
masona said:
Sounds like to me no herringbone or noggins was fitted to prevent floor bouncing, if not, floorboards would have to be remove to fit them :cry:
pic264.jpg

there is certainly nothing like that. Is it an easy job to fix something like that in place and would it cure the bounce? If so where do i get them from? and how much are they? Currently i am thinking of using angle iron along each side of the joists to strenghen them and stop the gie in the joists. Has anyone else done this?

Thanks

Here.

You can use timber for solid noggins on each side of the centre line so you can fix them easier that way.

It will cured the bounce if done correctly

masona said:
Here.

You can use timber for solid noggins on each side of the centre line so you can fix them easier that way.

sorry if i sound really stupid but could you explain this in a more simple way as i don't really understand what you have said. Sorry :oops:

Do the noggins go at 90 degrees to the joists, in between them? What dimensions of timber should i go for and how often do they need positioning?

Also would my angle iron idea work?

Thanks

I had exactly the same problem as you and I just completed the installation of timber noggins. I have to say though that it hasn't stopped the floor from being a little bouncy, so I would also be interested Masona in how it should be done properly. How thick the timber, where along the length of the joists should they be placed etc. I had a 3m span and installed them 1m from the ends (2 per gap between joists) using 2"x4" timber. With my floor you can't see the joists moving when someone walks on them, they just don't feel solid. The joists are only 2" x 6" and I think this is why.

JD

I dont know if this is correct but I would use the same size wood as the joists at 500mm centers :!:

roblatus said:
masona said:
Here.

sorry if i sound really stupid but could you explain this in a more simple way as i don't really understand what you have said. Sorry :oops:
Sorry, I wasn't clear as I was rushing about!

In the centre of the room put the noggins in between the joists at 90 degree (if you have 8"x2" joists then use something like 7"x2" noggins) and nail it in from the outside of the joist and straggered the next noggins so you nail it again through the joist. Blimey, I just read it again I'm still not clear, you can't beat a drawing! No need to use angle iron if the noggins is tight and you could put in 2 rows of noggins if you want.
frame.gif

masona said:
roblatus said:
masona said:
Here.

Sorry, I wasn't clear as I was rushing about!

In the centre of the room put the noggins in between the joists at 90 degree (if you have 8"x2" joists then use something like 7"x2" noggins) and nail it in from the outside of the joist and straggered the next noggins so you nail it again through the joist. Blimey, I just read it again I'm still not clear, you can't beat a drawing! No need to use angle iron if the noggins is tight.
frame.gif

I think i see what you are saying. Although that picutre looks more like a wall to me rather than a floor :) I do get the idea though.

So i only need to do the noggins accross the centre of the room?

Is nailing the best way to go or would it be best to screw them in?

I take it i want the noggins to be as tight a fit as possible between the joists?

roblatus said:
Yes, for your size room.
Whatever is easier for you.
I take it i want the noggins to be as tight a fit as possible between the joists?
Just a snug fit not too tight otherwise you push the joist out and on the wall ends make a packing or wedge on the end joist after the noggins is in.

masona said:
roblatus said:
Yes, for your size room.
Whatever is easier for you.
Just a snug fit not too tight otherwise you push the joist out and on the wall ends make a packing or wedge on the end joist after the noggins is in.

ok cool

there is just one problem i see with using htis mehtod.

At One side of the room the wall is an external wall. No problem there. However at the other side of the room is an internal solid wall which is built on top of the floor. There is a joist that runs parallel to this wall and quite close to it. I don't see how i could get a noggin in between this joist and the next one which is essentially at the other side of the wall.

Hope i have explained this ok.

Any idea how long ago the plumbing was done.They should have known better :cry:

roblatus said:
One side of the room the wall is an external wall. No problem there. However at the other side of the room is an internal solid wall which is built on top of the floor. There is a joist that runs parallel to this wall and quite close to it. I don't see how i could get a noggin in between this joist and the next one which is essentially at the other side of the wall.
I wouldn't worry about that for now because the weight of the wall may make that last joist rigid anyway. There's nothing to stop you using a L-shape bracket on top of the joist and fixed to the wall with screw/rawlplug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back