Bedroom Floor "bouncing"

Hi roblatus (sorry all for breaking in), I would say- since the heavy iron lengths- unconnected 'floating' are not earthed, to be definitely a hazzard.
The other things mentioned are all earthed somewhere. (but they two can be 'caught' by lightning, and you know the storms are getting more tropical in time) Is it time to switch to undeground cable (Telewest!)?
Back to the thread!

Sponsored Links
roblatus said:
I guess the notches i mentioned would be more likely to cause the bounce accross the 4m span rather than 2.5m then?
It would be very unlikely to happen

If they are 8" joists and only span 4m I would say it's unlikely they would be "bending" under normal conditions, unless they have been damaged in some way. If the notches are too deep and are in the middle of the span that might make more sense. I would check to see that they don't need repacking into the wall(s) and as Masona says go for the noggins to tighten things up. Adding noggins will remove any twisting action in the joists which could be causing a small amount of bounce.

That'd be my suggestion anyway.

I guess the notches i mentioned would be more likely to cause the bounce accross the 4m span rather than 2.5m then?
Not entirely with you here. In my experience any "bounce" in the floor must mean that the joists are either flexing somewhere along their length or that one of their ends is not secured as it should be in/on the wall(s) at either end and is lifting and then depressing under weight. Are all the floor boards secured properly, including over these notches?

Sponsored Links
I am sure the ends of the joists dont need packing as the nearer the ends have no bounce at all. Am doing the noggins at the weekend so will see if it makes any difference. For the small amount of money the materials cost it is a cheap option to go for at first to see if it fixes the problem. If it doesn't then i may go down the route of fixing more timber along the existiing joists to stiffen things up.

Hi

Not saying you have a problem, but have you removed any walls downstairs?

A mate of mine bought a house and it had had the kitchen and dining room knocked through without properly strenthening with an rsj.

Whenever he stood upstairs the floor just bowed because there should have been a solid wall supporting it from underneith!

Sorry if i've misread the problem - don't mean to scaremonger.

Dan

danlightbulb said:
Hi

Not saying you have a problem, but have you removed any walls downstairs?

A mate of mine bought a house and it had had the kitchen and dining room knocked through without properly strenthening with an rsj.

Whenever he stood upstairs the floor just bowed because there should have been a solid wall supporting it from underneith!

Sorry if i've misread the problem - don't mean to scaremonger.

Dan

not had any walls removed. The property is the same layout as when it was built in the 60's

However there is this wall that i mentioned earlier in this thread that is built on top of the floor boards but sort of sits between the joists the wall is breeze block then plaster. There is one other internal wall upstairs in my property which is the same as this. There is no wall downstairs supporting either of these. We have some friends further round the estate and their house is the same. Apparently they all are on the estate i live on. The survey mentioned about the floors upstairs sloping but said it had been the settling of the timbers upstairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back