Notching the bottom of a joist in this situation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to bury two radiator pipes in a downstairs wall, but there's a ceiling joist flush against the wall.

The joist in question is pictured. Given that there is barely any load, and it's only 30inch in length, could I notch it at the bottom?

I assume this joist is attached to another joist coming out of an exterior wall at 90° above the stairwell.

Cheers!

IMG_20220607_160447.jpg

IMG_20220607_160509.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is it a trimmer and supporting the other two joists at right angles, maybe a structural element of the stairs?

blup

The area in the first pic is immediately above the second.

I've actually solved it though:

Starting from the centre of the joist, I drilled two holes (which meet regs in terms of their distance apart) downwards at 45°. Then chased the wall upwards and brought the pipes out.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you must notch a joist, as opposed to drilling it, it is better to do it at the top. Bottom notchings are more likely to be where failure splits start from

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back