Notre Dame Cathedral on fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps it's a more noble way of avoiding tax.
It's certainly a way of propping up the pontiff and his cronies, and perhaps will help with the legal bills and compo claims for the boys and girls.

And a great diversion from the yellow vest protests to boot. Vive la France, Vive le Vatican. :cautious:

Sponsored Links
I wonder how big the tender document would be for the rebuild :eek:

Funny how a video game could help with the restoration, strange old world.

Restoration to the Notre Dame Cathedral is to take five years and needs Hundreds of workers to complete the task ,

How about we postpone Brexit and freedom of movement in the EU for the next five years, then we can send over all our unemployed work force to help carry out the task

Sponsored Links
all our unemployed ...

stonemasons, medieval wood-carvers, and lead-roofers.

All the remaining fruit-pickers, hospital doctors, audioligists, radiographers and care assistants are needed here to fill in for the Europeans who've left.

It seems the cause may have been an Italian tourist who lit a candle in the Cathedral......

A Roman candle.

Restoration to the Notre Dame Cathedral is to take five years and needs Hundreds of workers to complete the task ,

How about we postpone Brexit and freedom of movement in the EU for the next five years, then we can send over all our unemployed work force to help carry out the task

I'm sure we'll be offering our extensive renovation experts and resources to this, and quite rightly so. This is a dreadful "loss" for the French.

Mind you as a snark, they weren't arsed about it during the revolution :whistle:

Restoration to the Notre Dame Cathedral is to take five years
They'll be lucky. That was AIUI a figure plucked out of the air by Macron, and I don't think he is an expert in restoring burnt out mediæval cathedrals...

If they do decide to rebuild the roof to replicate what was there before (and I hope they at least consider radical alternatives) then a figure I heard was 30 years just to source all the wood. But again I don't know how much expertise was involved in it.

Last edited:
They'll be lucky. That was AIUI a figure plucked out of the air by Macron, and I don't think he is an expert in restoring burnt out mediæval cathedrals...

If they do decide to rebuild the roof to replicate what was there before (and I hope they at least consider radical alternatives) then a figure I heard was 30 years just to source all the wood. But again I don't know how much expertise was inovolved in it.

Hmm, tricky one. It's a UNESCO world heritage site, rightly so, not sure what implications that has???

What is the point of replicating the building with centuries old methods and materials?

Those parts won't be 850 years old any more will they?

What is the point of replicating the building with centuries old methods and materials?

Those parts won't be 850 years old any more will they?

It's called sympathetic restoration, the idea is to preserve as much of its story .

The firemen who tackled the blaze did a great job.
According to the experts another half an hour and the whole building would have been destroyed.

yes, they concentrated on stopping it spreading to the bell towers, the bells are about 30tons each, that crashing down at 200 feet, could of finished of the structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links