Notting Hill Carnival!

• Thread starter Deleted member 18243
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18243

WHO WAS IT that said that reports of violence at the Notting Hill Carnival are exaggerated by racists? Notch, John D?

This year's looks as bad as ever...

Think I'll stick to The Proms and Gilbert & Sullivan.

Sponsored Links
209 arrests, 7 stabbings, 1 killing, 74 police officers assaulted.

...but I wonder if there are two Notting Hill Carnivals, because the Guardian (send us £10) says:

I've never been to the carnival. Is there a street where all is fun and happiness, calypso music, good food and all that is great about Caribean culture; and another street parallel where they do all the stabbings and rap music?

It must have been a long 3 years for you. How did you manage?

Some context - over a million people attend the Notting Hill Carnival.
There were fewer arrests this year than previous years.
Most people had fun.
Most of the crime happens after the main event, in those side / parallel streets you mention, not in the parades.

Sponsored Links
Reading and Leeds festival also had a death, serious violence, arson and many arrests. What are your thoughts on all those white people causing mayhem in the fields of England?

there are always some that abuse a situation
there are probably as many that misuse cars and just about any situation, but no reason to ban cars incase its used as a weapon ??
so with perhaps say 1.5million attending thats about 2% off the uk population [about 67m] or perhaps 7% off greater london[9m] how does that compare to else where suspect comparable so no difference overall

What are your thoughts on all those white people causing mayhem in the fields of England?
Terrible, they were probably driven to do it by rap music. It wouldn't have happened at a Cliff Richard concert.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some context - over a million people attend the Notting Hill Carnival.
There were fewer arrests this year than previous years.
I wonder why that could be, fewer police stations to bang em up overnight, ?convoluted form filling (that's before you get over the first hurdle of what gender are you) taking police officers away from the streets.
No, as long as your not related to those that got stabbed and the bloke who lost his life, it could be considered to have all gone swimmingly.

Terrible, they were probably driven to do it by rap music. It wouldn't have happened at a Cliff Richard concert.
I imagine it takes his fans all their time to stand up and rattle their jewellry at him

WHO WAS IT that said that reports of violence at the Notting Hill Carnival are exaggerated by racists? Notch, John D?

Andy11 has been radicalised by the Daily Mail.

A bus shelter collapsing doesn't sound like violence, or a horse collapsing, neither does "binmen sorting hippy crack". (I don't click of DM links).

For context, Reading looked quite grim this year, and not for the first time. I was at Leeds Fest in 2002, and saw it was about to kick off in the campsite, as we were leaving on the Sunday night. They set fire to the toilet block among others things:
On the final night, armoured police were deployed as campers went on the rampage, setting fire to blocks of temporary toilets, yanking down fences and inflicting further mindless destruction. Helicopters with searchlights circled overhead. The police were pelted with projectiles. Gas cannisters exploded into the sky. You half expected Danny Glover to leap out at any moment like in the iconic opening moments of Predator 2. By Monday morning, £250,000 worth of damage had been caused. The Temple Newsam estate said it would never host the festival again.

In 1994, I was minutes away from a random shooting at Glastonbury (only because Bjork was rubbish live). There was a mini riot at Phoenix Festival in 1993 including someone ram raiding the arena with a lorry (I was busy in a tent at the time so missed it).
Pheonix Fest 1993:

In 1990 at Glastonbury, there was a riot by travellers (I missed that as well, as I was at the other end of the site.)

I swear they wait until I'm out of the way.

These are just the events that I went to, I'm sure there are more examples (unless they wait for me to turn up, and then leave).

But anyway, Glastonbury is worse than Notting Hill:

Last edited:
The problem is it's a honey pot for gangs and organised criminals. So many people to rob, so many rivals to "chef up".

A bus shelter collapsing doesn't sound like violence, or a horse collapsing, neither does "binmen sorting hippy crack". (I don't click of DM links).

For context, Reading looked quite grim this year, and not for the first time. I was at Leeds Fest in 2002, and saw it was about to kick off in the campsite, as we were leaving on the Sunday night. They set fire to the toilet block among others things:

In 1994, I was minutes away from a random shooting at Glastonbury (only because Bjork was rubbish live). There was a mini riot at Phoenix Festival in 1993 including someone ram raiding the arena with a lorry (I was busy in a tent at the time so missed it).
Pheonix Fest 1993:

In 1990 at Glastonbury, there was a riot by travellers (I missed that as well, as I was at the other end of the site.)

I swear they wait until I'm out of the way.

These are just the events that I went to, I'm sure there are more examples (unless they wait for me to turn up, and then leave).

But anyway, Glastonbury is worse than Notting Hill:
Have you seen the Netflix documentary on Woodstock '99?
Full on chaos and carnage.
You can draw several comparisons between the original and the rerun about the way American culture changed during those thirty years.

Glastonbury is our version of Woodstock and when i went it still had a shanty town feel to it all. No way will i go near the corporate shindig it is now.

Sponsored Links
Back