Now shower being fitted - water pressure and boiler match!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am replacing a concealed thermostatic valve shower unit in my ensuite and I'm in a bit of a quandry as to what shower would be suitable. I want to replace it with a new concealed thermostat valve. However the vast majority available (I am looking at Grohe and Hansgrohe) have quite high pressure requirements. I also want one of the large 18cm or bigger drench heads which also require very high pressure (>2bar).

I don't really know whether my boiler system can support that kind of pressure so need to do some measurements I think. The boiler is a Gledhill Gulfstream 2000 - the literature says it can deliver a 35 l/min flow rate at 35c but doesn't give any specs on pressure - other than it is mains water pressure. I am considering buying one of the Monument mains pressure gauges to start measuring.

When the shower manufacturers quote a pressure requirement, is that for both the hot and cold feed independently or the combined feed?

The old valve is still fitted so if I measure the pressure from the valve output will that give me a good indication of the system pressure - accepting that the valve will have some effect on the pressure?

Do I also need to turn on the basin tap at the same time to get flow as opposed to static pressure?

Or do I not need to measure at all and be confident that the boiler is man enough to cope?

Sorry for all the questions but don't want to spend £600 on a shower only to have it barely drip on me!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
from the link you posted
Exceptional capacity
GulfStream 2000 has a huge capacity for hot water performance - up to 780 litres in the peak hour from the largest model – suitable for up to a 6 bedroom house.
As it is mains fed and your mains pressure should be more than 2 bar then i figure you`ll have no trouble with the larger shower head nor the 2bar requirement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back