NTE5 Filtered Master Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Uncle has the filtered version of the NTE5 Master socket. His computer is beside it hence he just runs the RJ11 cable from modem to the filtered side of the master socket.

Since the computer is being moved to another room in the house, he would need to run a length of RJ11 cable from the filtered socket to the new location. I have found 20m lengths but it will be a messy job from A to B.

However, the room above the new computer location has a telephone socket and a hole in the roof/floor to extend/wire another socket in this new room if need be.

From my understanding, the filtered master socket cancels these secondary sockets from being used for adsl connection due to the filtering at the mastersocket.

What would your solution be to this? I've thought about ditching the filtered ms and replacing it with a standard NTE5 MS but my Uncle is fussy about the idea of changing it.

Or is there a way to keep the existing one but have it unfiltered?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
RJ11 is a connector, not a cable, you should be able to just use a pair of cat5e to extend the unfiltered side to where you want the pc (convention would be to use the blue pair), look at the back of the panel for the NE5 socket and see if there is a set of terminals for the filtered side

edit: unfiltered, not filtered, only just noticed that on a re-read of the post :oops:

That's one way of doing it but cat5 doesn't look too pretty along a hall wall.

how many phone points are there in the house?

how many cores does your phone wiring have?

you can buy a filter plate from clarity.it that has both filtered and unfiltered signals availible on the back, if you have the spare cores in your phone wiring (e.g. if your phone wiring is 6 core) using one of those plates with the phone and ADSL run on seperate cores.

if you don't have the spare cores than you'll just have to run the unfiltered signal arround the house and use a filter at every point.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for that. I'll have to check the cabling out tomorrow but my guess would be I'll end up having to send an unfiltered signal around the house.

If you can get hold of a normal BT master socket, just swap the customer side faceplate from one to the other. When you remove the filtered faceplate make sure you make a note of what terminals your extension sockets are connected to (colours and numbers). Punch them into the same numbers on the unfiltered faceplate, screw faceplate back on and hey presto you have regular unfiltered telephone sockets. Now just stick some plug-in filters on all the sockets you use and job done!

Hope this helps, any probs let me/us know.

Dan

FFS, is everyone apart from dannyboi2003 off their rockers?!

The signal extended around the house is either filtered or unfiltered. Clearly it needs to be unfiltered upstairs in order to move the computer up there.

The easy test, if you're unsure how to inspect and interpret the wiring, would be plug a microfilter into the upstairs socket and see if the ADSL modem synchronises. If it does, then the job is done. If not, then do what dannyboi2003 said.

If you really want to make things complicated then you could leave a modem/router downstairs and run either Ethernet over mains or a WLAN to the PC.

I've decide to change the master socket for an unfiltered one and then filter the socket at the computer and where ever there is a phone connected. He wants to use a phone there also, so its better to have the voice/adsl coming through the one socket than the hassle of running a new cable just for adsl.

Cheers Softus.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back