Moving a phone master socket and swap for nte5

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old style phone master socket is stupidly situated in a kitchen cupboard. The drop wire comes in the loft and through the ceiling (bungalow) into a wall cupboard.

If I re-wire this and substitute an nte5 (I have a collection of genuine ones raided from old offices when knocked about) would BT ever know I'd done it myself or do the engineers have some form of record or code when they go to jobs?

As I've only been here 14 months I can always deny knowledge and blame it on the previous owner.

I thought about putting the new nte5 line box in the loft and running the extensions out from there. Is this something an engineer might do?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If I were capable of doing it, I would do it any repercussions, as you said it was like this when you moved in.

I agree with Diyisfun but I don't think it's good idea putting the box in the loft. If the BT chaps come out to do a line test at some stage in the future they will have a moan. Could it go somewhere else with better access?

Actually, I have seen a kosher linebox in the loft, but agree- better access would be preferable - how about an airing cupboard or somesuch loc?

Sponsored Links
Mines in the loft.

BT will usually only go in a loft if the loft is boarded for insurance reasons.

My loft is half boarded, and the half thats not has the NTE5! I had BT up there a few years back when I upgraded from ISDN to ADSL, and the guy did mention he shouldn't be up there.

I could drop it into the hall cupboard or my office (spare bedroom) and run the extensions from there. The only problem would be that there's not enough of the original wire.

If I use new 2 pair of CW1308 spec would a BT guy know it wasn't their own stuff?

Ideally if in the office I would then put an adsl faceplate on it to do away with dangly splitters see http://www.clarity.it/acatalog/ADSL_Installation.html

For the record my loft isn't boarded and an engineer would have been on his head where he's fitted the old original strip box. It's a right **** to get to it. I'm all for making it more accessible though.

Should have said I've got some 3m gel filled splices so I could do a proper job of extending the wire using some more genuine wire from a BT hard wired extendion.

if you buy BT spec CW1308 cable i think its highly unlikely they will be able to tell the difference. If in doubt find some building dust and rub the cable all over with it to remove any identifiable markings.

securespark said:
Yeah, I hate dangly splitters too, they're painful!!

Mmmmmmm.

Maybe I should rephrase that to "plug in trailing adsl filters". It does sound painful to read it

its now official, half of securespark's 5700+ posts are exceedingly bad jokes! :rolleyes: :LOL: :cool:

I would extend with CW1308 3 pair - BT don't use 2 pair......bit of a giveaway! They used to - back in the grey day with single coloured cores.

I would joint with some jellies and a 77A skelaton box. (or use the puch down block with the 77A - but I normally just bung that).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back