Number of teeth for a saw to cut branches off a tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
l bought a cheap B&Q tipped saw for my father and it cut wood like butter, so I would like to buy myself one for cutting branches of a tree, so just wondered how many teeth per inch should I look for?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
+2 Pruned a birch tree last week and it was so easy to get through branches up to 4" diameter using a bow saw.

Sponsored Links
Just a little mention, I think birch trees are supposed to be cut before winter sets in - like cherry trees? One of the few that don't like winter cutting anyway :) Hope you don't mind me mentioning it Connie!

Its fine to cut Birch until just before the sap starts to rise to prevent excesive sap loss, so plenty of time yet. Plums on the other hand should be done when the sap is actively flowing to help flush out and seal the cut from any disease that could get introduced ....
There are also two types of bowsaw blades, raker tooth for fresh unseasoned wood which have more clearance to eject weter chips and pegtooth for dry harder wood but most casual users wouldnt worry about such matters:)

Last edited:
Just a little mention, I think birch trees are supposed to be cut before winter sets in - like cherry trees? One of the few that don't like winter cutting anyway :) Hope you don't mind me mentioning it Connie!

Thanks for the advice STFT but I spoke to an arborist at work and took him a sample twig. He told me it was one that could be cut late into the year so long as the temperature hadn't reached a constant low of less than 4 degrees.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back