NZ Electrics (off topic content removed )

On reflection, I suspect the DP switches have to have "OFF" marked on them, but SP switches don't.
Who knows?! Even most New Zealanders presumably don't understand the difference between SP and DP switches or the significance of the difference?

I also would suggest that (unless one "knows"), those rocker switches are somewhat potentially ambiguous. I imagine that if one pushes the bit labelled 'Off' that probably turns the switch off. However, others may think that it's off when the "off" side of the rocker is 'sticking out'.

Sponsored Links
Board in a hotel room with a SP main switch:

IMG_20240430_190641_MP.jpg

Where's @FrodoOne when you need them? :)
I have been busy with other things !

Australia/New Zealand uses "Active" for "Line"/"Phase"

The Letters "A", "N" and "E" (Active, Neutral and Earth) are often molded into the plastic on the wiring side of rewireable Plugs.
"Active" is also used in AS/NZS 3000 - the "Wiring Rules".

If you look-up (download)
NEW ZEALAND ELECTRICAL CODE OF PRACTICE FOR HOMEOWNER/OCCUPIER’S ELECTRICAL WIRING WORK IN DOMESTIC INSTALLATIONS
you will find it used there, often coupled with "phase"
[e. g. Active (phase)]
Coupling Active/phase may be a New Zealand thing.

There is an interesting TABLE on page vii of the FOREWORD of the abovementioned document.

Electricity.........................Maori
Active (phase)........Spiritual element, active, tapu
Neutral.....................Physical element, neutral, noa
Earth.........................Mauri or life force derived from Papatuanuku or Earth Mother

I use the Name "FrodoOne" as a "Nom de NET", because I started "communicating" on a site such as this shortly after the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy came out
and
"Frodo" was already "taken", on that site.

Sponsored Links
Presumably they have negative phone numbers there because it's on the other side of the world?

It would be pretty unlikely to accidentally break the glass and flip the switch down, so I guess that's why it's like that.

Presumably they have negative phone numbers there because it's on the other side of the world?

It would be pretty unlikely to accidentally break the glass and flip the switch down, so I guess that's why it's like that.
In germany it used to be break glass and press button. I many still have an enammelled plate from a ripout.

Call point:

Interesting in that breaking the glass does not automatically operate the call point, you have to manually switch it.
I think you fill find that the Switch is "Momentarily ON",
Hence, it acts like a Push-Button.

The ones that I have seen in Australia incorporate an actual "Push Button".

(I needed to operate one once!

In the office building, where I was working [late], with only one other person, the nearby "EXIT" sign caught fire !!!
Fortunately, there was a second exit about 20 metres away, so I went out of that and operated the Alarm - taking off my shoe to break the glass with its heel.

By this time, the EXIT sign had burned through whatever was holding it to the false ceiling and had fallen onto the carpeted floor.
Since it was now no longer an "Electrical" fire, I used a "Foam" extinguisher to put it out'.

The problem durned out to be a "failed capacitor" and the next day a campaign got under way to replace all the existing "EXIT" signs in the building.)

Last edited:
I think you fill find that the Switch is "Momentarily ON", ... Hence, it acts like a Push-Button. ... The ones that I have seen in Australia incorporate an actual "Push Button".
With the ones we are used to see here, the usual arrangement is that it is a non-latching 'push for off' button which is held in the 'pushed for off'position by the glass. Hence, immediately the glass is broken, the button 'springs out' into the 'on' position, without any 'switching' action required of the user.

That seems fairly sensible, the only downside really being that in the (very rare) event of the glass being broken accidentally, the alarm will be activated.

With the ones we are used to see here, the usual arrangement is that it is a non-latching 'push for off' button which is held in the 'pushed for off'position by the glass. Hence, immediately the glass is broken, the button 'springs out' into the 'on' position, without any 'switching' action required of the user.

That seems fairly sensible, the only downside really being that in the (very rare) event of the glass being broken accidentally, the alarm will be activated.
The only break glass call points I had any dealings with have been a 4 position button (but I suspect an unusual arrangement) where out is the alarm, middle is normal and held by glass, in position (achievable by pushing the glass) is a test facility and a very long push further in like 20 sec or even more is that points alarm cancel, ie after being set off by breaking glass.

It's been a while, but the last ones I investigated, had a second button, held closed by the access cover, itself kept shut by an allen screw. Undoing the screw/opening the call point, disabled alarm button. That allowed the alarm to be cancelled, panel reset, until the broken glass could be replaced.

The easy way to break the glass, in the event of a fire, is to hit it with your well clothed elbow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back