MCB and kitchens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first post- great site hope I can get some advice....
I live in a two bedroom flat with one ring main circuit(30 amp fuse at consumer unit) that till recently had an electric cooker running off it, there is thankfully a seperate fuse for the shower.
I am upgrading the kitchen and as such would like to protect the circuit with a MCB converter in the CU.
I have removed the cooker and will have it replaced by a single electric oven and gas hob.
I replaced a single socket(ring main) with a double and have run a spur off this that will power the fridge/freezer. I have replaced the cable that went from the switch for the cooker with 2.5mm twin and earth connected to a twin surface box in a base unit that will power the single oven and gas hob.
Bearing in mind that in the living room I have TV, seperates hifi, 2x PCs,one monitor, video, cable box, xbox what should I replace the existing 30amp fuse with I had originally bought a 16amp MCB now I'm thinking that I should get a bigger one, also have I done anything daft?

Sponsored Links
It's not dangerous to run your ring circuit from a 16 amp breaker but you'll be forever resetting the thing when the oven's on! Get a 32 amp one instead. Yes, I know the old fuse was only 30 amps but all our existing cables mysteriously got better!

As you have already realised it would probably be better to split the supply and have a separate one for the cooker. You have already made things better by having a gas hob instead of an electric one so i guess if it worked ok before it should still do so. 32A breakers replace 30A fuses because breakers disconnect the supply faster than a fuse would melt.

Sponsored Links
Damocles said:
As you have already realised it would probably be better to split the supply and have a separate one for the cooker. You have already made things better by having a gas hob instead of an electric one so i guess if it worked ok before it should still do so. 32A breakers replace 30A fuses because breakers disconnect the supply faster than a fuse would melt.

no 32A breakers replace 30A fuses because of european harmonisation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back