O dear!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
O **** help us from the enemy within (y)
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...bout-ukrainian-refugees/ar-AAV1VsW?li=AAnZ9Ug
ee6eb4a2-4cc2-45f1-a9f1-4b25ada9fe64-jpeg.264196

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/o-dear.588531/#ixzz7NY7lBvax

Sponsored Links
All of the Brexit supporters on this forum are supportive of helping Ukraine refugees as far as I’ve read so far.

I don’t think very many Brexit voters have the same view as that guy.

Many Brexit voters were only sold one benefit, and that was stopping foreigners coming in. Most of those don't understand what it means to leave the EU.
Similarly some people say we'd be stronger out of NATO.
Once again it is a time to work with our allies on all levels to retain our own freedoms.

Sponsored Links
I would have no hesitation absolutely whatsoever in taking in a Ukrainian refugee into Dork Towers . . . . So long as she's blonde.

Everyone might be saying it's all jolly unreasonable to treat a refugee like an immigrant, now. But imagine they've been in your granny annex for 2 years and they're still paying you no rent, and the government £350 a month has expired, and they've got stroppy teenagers. and granny still doesn't speak English.... and you might not trust them enough to go on holiday and leave them.....

Everyone might be saying it's all jolly unreasonable to treat a refugee like an immigrant, now. But imagine they've been in your granny annex for 2 years and they're still paying you no rent, and the government £350 a month has expired, and they've got stroppy teenagers. and granny still doesn't speak English.... and you might not trust them enough to go on holiday and leave them.....
Situation would be worse if they were like that and were in your actual house.

What if, what if, what if.

But imagine they've been in your granny annex for 2 years and they're still paying you no rent, and the government £350 a month has expired, and they've got stroppy teenagers. and granny still doesn't speak English.... and you might not trust them enough to go on holiday and leave them.....

What if they murder you in their sleep, what if they steal your money, what if they blow your house up while you are at work ...

Look at the legislation. If they're a problem you need to be able to get rid of them.
The "what if.."s need to have answers before you start - it's YOUR home/property.

If they're technically speaking "Lodgers" then you have one set of rules, if it's a renter then it's another. But HMG isn't saying anything about those rules, yet. You can't evict for non payment of rent if they aren't paying any, so ---- what?? They'll need money for absolutely everything. I would expect them to sublet, run sidelines to earn a bit of money, etc. What are you going to do, deport them?

I've heard people saying how these poor ordinary people like us just want a roof and they'd be grateful etc. Partly true, for a while..
Don't forget they mostly don't speak English. The kids pick some English up off the street. Their second language is Russian. The ones who speak on TV are selected, obviously. I was in Ukraine about 12 and 25 ish years ago. Outside hotels, it was mostly sign language, and some very broken German and English, pretty scruffy poor people. It improved, but checking now, a data centre worker earns about £250- £200 a month.
Outside the city centres, things looked poorer than our shabby social housing, with teenagers in gangs, "unemployables" widespread, like most poorish countries. No where near as smart as say Poland.
I don't think it's pejorative to suggest that integration/accommodation may not be as trouble-free as we might hope.

For those without family ties, I would expect most would be happier to stay in closer countries than the UK - closer in many ways.

It may also be a cheaper option to pay the neighbouring countries, the amounts we're looking at giving our local authorities and individuals - the money would go further.

Sponsored Links
Back