O ring lubricant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced a tap quarter turn valve about 6 months ago and used some plumbers grease on the o ring. I recently discovered that a petroleum based lubricant is the wrong type to use on rubber o rings and that a silicon based grease should be used.

The tap has been fine, but is it worth taking it out and regreasing? Or is the damage already done and just wait until it fails?

Sponsored Links
Presumably it's the main O ring that seals the insert to the tap body? It'll be fine....Lube here just stops it picking up and splitting when the insert is screwed in, and Fairy Liquid does just as well!
John :)

A bit of spit is the best lubricant for most applications. Failing that , silicon grease.;)

Sponsored Links
Presumably it's the main O ring that seals the insert to the tap body? It'll be fine....Lube here just stops it picking up and splitting when the insert is screwed in, and Fairy Liquid does just as well!
John :)

OK thanks. Was just intrigued as to how critical the type of grease was. Got some wras silicon grease on order, so will do it right next time.

Don't use petroleum based lubricants, the chemical make up of most modern O ring material means that petroleum based lubricants will eventually make them perish, same with compression waste fittings etc. Silicon grease is advised IMO.

Don't use petroleum based lubricants, the chemical make up of most modern O ring material means that petroleum based lubricants will eventually make them perish, same with compression waste fittings etc. Silicon grease is advised IMO.

That part I understand. My question was more about whether it's worth reapplying, or if the damage is already done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back