Oak floor finish/sealer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to get a solid oak floor installed and cant decide on a finish. I want it to look as natural as possible, so do I

1. Use wax
2. Use oil
3. Use a varnish

If 3. which type, water based or polyurethane ? What are the advantages of each ?

The floor is all T&G and presanded, will I have to sand it again once it is down ?

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
We would highly recommend HardWaxOil . The oil penetrates the wood and the wax 'supplies' your wear and tear layer. Very easy to apply and to maintain and brings out the natural colour of the wood.

If the floor is pre-sanded you normally don't have to sand it.

Indeed. It is true that wax oil will seal the floor.

Oak (bless it!) has bark to protect it when it's a tree. When the oak 'dies' when felled, and then kilned, practically all moisture is expelled.

Then, treating it to stop further moisture getting in is ESSENTIAL!

I recently had the same problem after breaking our tropical aquarium, and flooding the floor with warm water... our floor became swollen, and raised at the seams. Unfortunately some of it never went back to normal!

A local company offered assistance in repairing, and also coated the floor in hard wax oil. Although it's expensive, it has certainly helped. The wood 'looks' healthier, and seems more resilient to spills and grime.

There's a wealth of information down at your local stores, and it pays to speak to these guys before you panic.

See Sabrina Oak Doors for more information.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back