Oak flooring-Nail or float?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have bought 20mm by 140mm wide oak flooring and am planning to do living, dining rooms and hall. An area of nearly 40M2, it will be onto chipboard floor (house is 6 years old) and am looking for advice:
Should I nail or float floor? (skirting will be removed)
What kind of underlay is best?
Should i install plywood sheets underneath and how thick?

Sorry if this is a large request but I want to do this right and advice from this forum isa great tool.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If your chipboard underfloor is sound, then no need for nailing nor installing extra plywood.
Use 3mm foam underlayment as sound-insulation, NO DPM and install the floor floating, glueing the T&G's.
Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply, sorry ive not responded, been busy with new house.
Flooring getting started this weekend, have good 3mm underlay and floor is solid and sound. I was planning to use straps to secure flooring while laying, do you reccomend using these?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
We never use straps ourselves, we are just carefully when walking over the boards just installed and we make sure that boards fit well together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back