Oak Hardwood Flooring from Russia/China

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Wondering if some of the experts can offer any advice. We're looking around for Solid Oak Wooden flooring and are seeing suppliers sell flooring originating from Russia and from China. The russian oak is slightly dearer than the chinese one, but i'm wondering if anyone has experience of either of these? Should we try to stick to European Oak, even though it it is a lot more expensive?

The floor will be secret nailed onto 18mm ply, which has replaced floorboards in our lounge. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
It's getting more and more harder to tell if Oak flooring from China is of lesser quality. (It was two - three years ago).
The only thing you have to remind yourself of is: the finished product will have traveled for days over two oceans, will it have had enough time (and proper circumstances) to 'dry' again.
Then of course it depends on the company/person selling it, is it a reputable company, how do they store it, do they give guarantees etc?

On the other hand: why secretly nail T&G floorboards on a 18mm thick underfloor? You can easily install the floor 'floating' (glueing T&G's) on a sound-insulation underlayment.

I have asked for various samples to be sent so I will compare them, and i'll put your questions to the company's regarding storage etc.

I assumed you secret nailing was the preferred option? I wouldn't mind glueing it as i'm sure it would be easier to install. The secret nailer machines can apparently 'butt' the join quite tightly and then fire a nail. Can I still achieve a floor with minimal gaps using the floating floor/glue method?

I remember ages ago I installed glued laminate flooring, for which we had to use clamps to ensure they were a tight fit...

ln1234 said:
I assumed you secret nailing was the preferred option? I wouldn't mind glueing it as i'm sure it would be easier to install. The secret nailer machines can apparently 'butt' the join quite tightly and then fire a nail. Can I still achieve a floor with minimal gaps using the floating floor/glue method?

All depends on the quality of the floorboards, our floating floors (with quality products) never have any problems in regards of gaps directly after installation.
The effect of a nailer machine depends mainly on the user ;)

Sponsored Links
If you install a floating floor, do you need clamps to ensure gaps are minimised?

Not really (we never use them). You just make sure that the T&G's are properly glued, the boards firmly stuck togehter and.........
nobody walks over the newly installed boards for the first half hour (or if needed, very carefully as not to 'walk' open the boards again)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back