Engineered Wood, Floorboards + Secret Nailing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm in the process of selecting a wooden floor for my hall and dining room.

The current floor is floorboards over wooden joists, which are suspended about 18" above the ground, and under the floor is very dry and well ventilated with lots of airbricks.

I would like an engineered oak product. I quite like the look of Furlong Flooring's "Next Step" 4927 "Dark Smoked" which is an 18mm thick ply backed floor with 5-6mm of oak on the top.

Given that my existing floorboards are quite level, is it likely to be OK to secret nail this product directly to the floorboards? Or, would an 18mm thick floor need an additional load bearing plywood base?

I'm actually a bit confused about the secret nailing method- surely it prevents natural expansion of the floor?

Any advice is much appreciated

thanks

slip

Sponsored Links
The flooring you are looking at is in itself load bearing so there would be no problem in nailing it to your existing floorboards provided they are level.

Lay it at right angles to the floorboards otherwise you will need to ply first.

I would also recommend laying building paper underneath.

Although you will not get the same movement as with solid flooring this floor will still move so you do need to leave an expansion gap.

Thanks flooringman.

The thing that is having me most confused is that the brochure says (and I quote word for word)

"Can be secret nailed to load bearing ply, entirely glued or floated".

This made me wonder if I would need an extra ply layer? This seems excessive.

Or, would I be better just gluing the joints and leaving it floating?

Sponsored Links
Well, all of those apply, the choice is yours. If you don't have a nailer then floating would be the least expensive option, followed by nailing and then full stick down.

You certainly wouldn't need load bearing ply to support a board of that thickness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back