secret nailing or tongue tite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm planning on laying solid oak flooring (90mm wide, 18mm thick, varying lengths).

Has anyone ever used tongue tite screws as opposed to secret nailing?

Feedback on these would be useful.

Thanks,
Niraj

Sponsored Links
I used tongue tight both in the morning room (3x6m) and the front room (4m x 6.5m) about 3 years ago on 18 mm x 120mm solid oak.

Absolutely no problem.

Did knacker the Dewalt battery drill, then again 2000+ screws over a week is a tad heavy use.

I have access traps in to the sub void which I wanted to retain, hence the screw method has allowed me to undo work and get access.

thanks for the feedback

I want to be able to undo the flooring in the future if required. I will be getting to work next weekend on the install of the flooring

Sponsored Links
I had occasion, about 18 months after finishing to deconstruct a square metre or so, and it came out and went back in without any grief.

The alternative would have been a framed area as a full on floor trap and that would have looked naff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back