Oak Posts standing in water .. with pictures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

I have the following issue .. 4 heavy oak posts which sit on a steel rod and embedded into a stone base... water accumulates under the posts. It did have silicone underneath but i had to strip this out as it was holding water.. doing this has made it marginally better as air is getting underneath … but as you can see it hasn't solved the problem. Some posts have a large gap / threshold than others.

I know these have been fitted wrong - but chap who did it is long gone!

I am looking for idea as to how to fix this (note: i am unable to remove the posts as they support large canopies with tiles on top etc). so need to fix in situ.

Darren
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Sponsored Links
suggestion.
Cut/saw/rout a horizontal grove around the post and inset a lead sheet (flashing) that directs the water away (if it's coming down)

and/or

use an angle grinder to cut some groves in the coping/slab about an inch away from the post to direct rain water away before it reaches the post

Issue is getting the treatment under the end of the post... by will do my best. Right now I need it to dry out first.
I like the idea of the lead flashing bedded into a groove .. issue though would that the base of the lead would just sit on the stone and water can get under it .. a cut channel in the stone would help

Sponsored Links
Issue is getting the treatment under the end of the post... by will do my best. Right now I need it to dry out first.
I like the idea of the lead flashing bedded into a groove .. issue though would that the base of the lead would just sit on the stone and water can get under it .. a cut channel in the stone would help
No need to get oil under it will be absorbed thru the post , have similar sizes posts buried in slabs and no water absorbed , I treat them with oil 5-6 times during hot weather .

Oil has made a big difference! And on one of the 4 posts I added the lead protection.
thanks for your advice

Attachments

• 78E9C7DD-C6C8-4508-A50F-EA0BD952FA4B.jpeg
    78E9C7DD-C6C8-4508-A50F-EA0BD952FA4B.jpeg
    490.7 KB · Views: 151

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back