Oak sleeper retaining wall plan

In terms of how the sleepers will be bedded and fixed into the concrete though, am I looking good? Or are the steel dowels unnecessary?

I’m laying them straight onto level compacted hardcore and sand blinding. But then yours sounds like it’s retaining more and next to a public highway, mines just my lawn.
I don’t think decking screwed to the sleepers will help with slippiness and also in my opinion looks rubbish. Possibly composite decking may be better?

Sponsored Links
I’m laying them straight onto level compacted hardcore and sand blinding. But then yours sounds like it’s retaining more and next to a public highway, mines just my lawn.
I don’t think decking screwed to the sleepers will help with slippiness and also in my opinion looks rubbish. Possibly composite decking may be better?
How high is yours going?

And yeah mine is right next to a public footpath so it has to never ever fall over, even if it is only half a metre high haha.

I might try to figure out the paving route then for steps. When you said "or gravel" did you mean having gravel treads or as hardcore for the paving?

How high is yours going?

And yeah mine is right next to a public footpath so it has to never ever fall over, even if it is only half a metre high haha.

I might try to figure out the paving route then for steps. When you said "or gravel" did you mean having gravel treads or as hardcore for the paving?
300mm. Decorative stones/slate chippings behind the sleeper on each step

Sponsored Links
As for timber decking - lethal!:eek:

Yeah the other half nixed that idea straight away. She said it looks awful.

BUT... I think I've found a solution that's not too bad on the eyes if you select the colour and surprisingly the other half is happy to go with it!

pJVaa0U.png

But Noseall, do you think the way the sleepers will be fixed to the concrete will be fine with just screws or would you go with the steel dowels for the first layer?

can’t stand decking personally.
as for the sleepers ive got a load of asbestos cement roofing over from a shed roof that ill be sitting lower behind them to drain undeneath

can’t stand decking personally.
as for the sleepers ive got a load of asbestos cement roofing over from a shed roof that ill be sitting lower behind them to drain undeneath
Can you elaborate more on the asbestos cement drain? Is it similar to in my illustration?

just going to place the sheets directly behind the sleepers , but set lower than the first row with some chippings to take water lower than the sleeper.
no matter how you view asbestos its damn good stuff, these sheets are as strong and waterproof as day one - sixty years old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back