Retaining wall advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've bought some shaped railway sleepers, similar to that in the attached picture, for use as a retaining wall and was after some advice. The wall will be 4m long and I intend to have it 3 sleepers high. Can anyone advise;

1) Is it ok to have the bottom row sitting directly on soil or should I protect it in some way?
2) What is the best method of securing the bottom row to the ground? Wasn't sure if I needed to use concrete or perhaps concrete small posts into the ground and connect the sleepers to those or if they could be sited in some other way.

Cheers

Mick

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 99
Sponsored Links
Hi there iav done a few of these now, level the ground under first row and add some crushed stone and compact, buy some rebar and knock it through the first layer of sleepers every 1ft depending how much soil and how compact it is depends how deep you drive them in iad say a good 4 feet, if your retaining a loose backfill with not much drainage iad go with a footing with the rebar set into it. Hope this makes sense and helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back