Retaining wall options

Wording from the portal

"You will be required to give notice if you plan to excavate and construct foundations for a new structure within 3.0m of a neighbouring property or within 6.0m if the works will cut a line drawn downwards at 45° from the bottom of the neighbour’s foundation."

thats a bit different to simply excavating and the building regs definition of a structure wont apply to it as i understand it

Sponsored Links
The explanatory booklet actually limits the notification to a distance from a neighbour's structure: "excavate,or excavate and construct foundations for a new building or structure, within 3 metres of a neighbouring owner’s building or structure, where that work will go deeper than the neighbour’s foundations..." and can apply up to 6m.

I stick by my statement that it is the excavation that is significant. However, the explanatory booklet's text is more sensible in that you only need to notify neighbours if the excavation is close to and deeper than their foundations.

Wall 10 lin metre by say 1.500. use 3.000x.250x.125mm sleepers, verticals 1.500 centres. Sink verticals 1.200. Total 29. Cost vat inc £1022.00, ballast and cement say £70.00.
old un.

Well i've gone down this path. Now I need to get the footings poured. However with access being a problem, round the back of the house with no smooth path to the back garden and a fairly steep access at that. The options I see:

1) Get Ready Mix Delivered.
2) Mix the stuff myself.

For option 1, I don't fancy barrowing the stuff myself (espec with a dislocated shoulder). The only real option appears to be pump, which for 2 cubic metre is working out about £450-500.

Option 2, my only hestitation is getting the mix right and ordering the correct quantities of materials I need. Please could someone suggest what I will need and in what quantities - I'm a pretty much a novice although reasonably practical :)

Thank you!

Shiny, post holes 300mm diameter by1200 deep with the right tools, i.e. 1800 long grafters and heavy duty double handled shovels. no problem at all. Without the right tools, 1200 deep is very hard work. Suggest you hire post hole borer called Kango kid. She is mounted on four wheels, goes through 750mm wide opening, bores down to 1200 deep with auger size from 150mm to 500mm. You will want 300mm auger bit. If you have a Jewson dept near you, you can order online and get 30% discount. Cost inclusive VAT £105 first 24 hrs, £42 second 24hrs £210 per week plus delivery and collection.
Concrete.300mm dia by 1200 deep = 0.076 less post 0.037 = 0.039 by 8 holes = 0.312 mc concrete. Roughly third cubic metre concrete, when mixed approx 7 barrow loads.
Suggest you buy 24 number 25kg bags ballast and 4 number 25kg dust. If you are a bit short at death, slip down for another couple bags. Saves having waste.Total cost approx £51.00. Mix to be 6 to 1.
oldun

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice Oldun! I'll crack on with the posts over the weekend.

I've already dug the post holes. Initially tried a post hole borer but after about 40cm I hit solid clay and it just threw me across the garden - those things don't half kick! I ended up working with a combination of a concrete breaker and manual post digger. Took ages but good exercise I guess :D

Well I finally got round to taking pics of the 'finished' article. Just wanted to say thank you to all for your input. Here's what I've ended up with :)

315122.jpg

315123.jpg

315124.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back