Oak square edged flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm renovating my Tudor house and working on the floor in one room which needs completely replacing. I have purchased new oak boards which are 3/4" thick and 8" wide square edge which will be fitted directly onto the existing joists.
I don't really want to screw them down as i'm trying to be traditional and wanted to know if its possible to use my Brad Nailer (bostitch GBT-1850), or do I really have to hand nail every board down?
I currently have an injury on my elbow so would really like to avoid this if possible.

Id welcome any advice

Thanks

Sponsored Links
i doubt youve got an original Tudor house.

your nailer is to light.50mm nails are max for that nailer when it should be 60mm min for floorboards..
you might get away with it but fwiw nailers are not trad tudor either.

cut nails are trad but you have to hammer them down then set them below the ffl.

unless the joists are sound and firm and correct sectionand centres for the span then you would be wasting your time.

shame you didnt go t & g you could of secret nailed them with a floor nailer

Thanks both, I was advised by a Tudor house restoration expert that you cant use tongue and groove due to ventilation and damp prevention, and therefore purchased oak square edged.
It is Tudor, it was built in 1555 and possibly the oldest building in this area.

Sponsored Links
The only way is too get your self plug cutter and correct countersink then
Time consuming but a proper job

That is superb advice, thank-you.
I have seen this done before but wasn't sure on the tool used.

Acclimatise boards and lay them smiley face up :)

not frowny face :(

(look on end grain!)

i apologise then. but surly the house is then listed? and you'd need permission to mess with flooring.
doubt that they'd approve of plugs in oak boards?
how are you intendin to finish these boards?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back