oak veneer door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We purchased some oak veneer doors from wickes but had to have some of them cut down to fit. This has left the edges with no veneer and showing the interior. Any ideas what we can use to put the oak back??

Sponsored Links
If you remove more than the specified amount to fit, the door is ruined. :cry:

If you are going to the expense of fitting decent doors then it may be wise to fit new casings to suit rather than butcher the doors.

As stated there is a maximum amount or removable material from any internal door. By the time you have hit the chipboard core you have gone over the maximum by a good few mm.

Who is fitting the doors? If your carpenter has told you what size to buy then I would say this is his fault. He should know better, You can't remove more than 12mm per side on veneered doors.

Andy

Sponsored Links
As said adjusting the linings and not removing more than 12mm from the door would have been the best way but as it's already done....It's not impossible to glue strips of oak back onto the door and refinish. The strips would only need to be around 12mm thick X the door thickness. Glue up with pva and cramp up at least over night and be careful with the cleanup. I've done this kind of thing in the past when there has been "human error" in the measuring up departments :rolleyes:

I've just thought , when you say the door interior is showing what can you see? I've predominately done this on solid fire door types but if it's an eggbox type of core then you will have to glue a strip inside the door before the oak strips which is a lot more fiddly.
All in all it is going to be a toss up which is most cost effective repair or replace :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back