Oak Verandah/Gazebo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am hoping (once again) someone will take pity on me and perhaps point me in the right direction.

In my infinite wisdom i have managed to persuade my husband into helping me (doing a lot of the lifting) into building and oak verandah/gazebo thingy.

Needless to say that he was not happy and has done nothing but complain but i am anxiously trying to not to let it defeat me (us).

The current progress is attached and am trying to break it down in stages.

I would like to add some rafters now and osb board in order to add a rubber roof.

The overall structure is 6m x 3m the beam across front and back at 200mm x 150mm oak beams horizontally and 200mm x 200mm oak vertically. She's a chunk!

My issue now is that the structure is square and level but i would prefer if the roof was not flat and had at least 60-75mm run off front to back I have been thinking about shimming the wood, or getting some shims made but i suddenly thought wouldn't it be easier to notch each rafter differently at the front and back to gain the run off? Like Pic 2? the problem is i dont really know where to start with how to get the angles, how much to cut at the front vs the back etc - could anyone please help? advise a methodology?

Thanks Lou

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-08-09 at 12.35.52 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-08-09 at 12.35.52 PM.jpeg
    720.1 KB · Views: 62
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-08-09 at 12.51.26 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-08-09 at 12.51.26 PM.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 70
Sponsored Links
I guess the obvious thing is to look at a bird’s mouth on the lower edge And possibly a small flat on the higher edge.
what way would it fall?
if it is ok to raise the height then you could add more timber to the higher side, to avoid too much notching you could add it in two stages, one to raise, one to infill the gaps but fitting tightly.

What timber/size are the rafters going to be?

Your mock up will need tweaking as the cutout will leave very little timber left.

Will be interesting to see how much sag there will be on the front beam over time.

Sponsored Links
I guess the obvious thing is to look at a bird’s mouth on the lower edge And possibly a small flat on the higher edge.
what way would it fall?
if it is ok to raise the height then you could add more timber to the higher side, to avoid too much notching you could add it in two stages, one to raise, one to infill the gaps but fitting tightly.
the higher edge would be at the front, so i was looking for it to be as aesthetically pleasing as possible - im not sure this would be ideal for me

What timber/size are the rafters going to be?

Your mock up will need tweaking as the cutout will leave very little timber left.

Will be interesting to see how much sag there will be on the front beam over time.
I think i have ditched the mock up as the rafter sizes werent working for me

I am still going over this, i didnt want the roof to be too wide and detract from the oak so ideally less than 7inches.

There will be more support on the front beam on both sides they havent been added yet - in a contrast black colour - but yes hoping the sag if any happens after im old and grey

You could buy ready made furrings to give the run off.
I think this is possibly the way forward, i was just looking at those and thinking about cost, quality and time this may be much more effective

the rafters inside will be black so the "join" of the rafter and furring shouldnt be too obvious

You can make your own strips on a table saw (if you have one).
I don't personally, my FIL does and he most probably would but he wanted us to buy a prebuilt gazebo from a well known company so he got the hump when we said we wanted something a little more modern looking (cheaper)....im not sure he'd be open to helping...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back