Oak Wardrobes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had some MDF wardrobes with oak veneer on installed.

They look good and I don't want to 'darken' them.

I'm wondering what to vanish them with which will no change their colour at all.

I tried a 'clear' vanish (on a spare piece) and it went quite a bit darker.

What would anyone recommend.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Varnish will show the true colour of the wood. If its going to go darker then you cant stop it. I would use a water based varnish like Dulux diamond glaze, very hard wearing.

heeelllooo and welcome lkalka :D :D :D

the only way to not darken is not to treat :cry: :cry:

when you coat you effect the way the light reflect and is absorbed by the wood try wetting you will get a much darker shade very simmilar to oiling varnishing ect
of couse the wood will naturaly darken /lighten when exposed to oxygen and light the type off wood determins actual effect

Sponsored Links
Screwfix (amongst others no doubt) sell a product called patina

I used this to great effect on oak (both solid and veneered)

you apply it with a cloth (wear gloves it takes the skin off the ends of your fingers)

one coat hardly changes the colour
second coat slightly darkens it (only v slight)

It dries giving a very tough finish and one tin goes a hell of a long way

Thanks for all you replies.

I may try the patina on a spare piece and if it looks ok then use that.

Mick.

Sikkens TSI Interior (colourless) is also worth considering. I've just used this on some oak Veneered doors as the finish looks brill.

Thing is like I and Big-all said, anything liquid that you put onto timber will darken it. As said rub a wet cloth across the timber and thats how a colourless liquid will change the finish of the wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back