OAK WOOD FLOORING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
would engineered or solid oak flooring be suitable for a kitchen floor laid on concrete screed. would 14 or 22mm be better?

Sponsored Links
Kitchens: best and most stable would be wood-engineered, not solid

15 or 21: depends on the levelness of your underfloor. 21mm is more rigid and can tackle dips a bit better than the thinner boards.

If you have the option, go for an pre-oiled floor in kitchens.

Yes indeed. Oil brings not only the character of the wood out better, but small damages are easier repaired than with lacquer.
Especially in areas where there is more most (kitchens, bathrooms) slightly damaged lacquered floors won't protect the wood against this moist, while oiled floor - where the oil has penetrated the wood deeper than lacquer can - protect better.
(Do you know that in kitchens you don't walk but shuffle. From cupboards to cooker, from cooker to fridge etc. Your shoes will have a slight abrasive effect on the finish layer - again oil will handle this way better than lacquer.

Sponsored Links
Don't install a solid floor in a kitchen, that's asking for trouble.

i keep repeating myself, and again woody is correct . Forget solid and stick with oil or wax in kitchen area

In relation to this post, I have an engineered oak floor (laquered) in living/dining room & was going to extend it through to kitchen hoping for a 'continuous' effect should I put oiled down then or would this look weird??
Thanks

oil or wax is always best in kitchen area. If you are wanting the same floor/ colour as the existing wood then you could always sand the floor and apply oil or wax to the whole floor. I think i would just fit the same floor and see how it goes. If it starts to look bad in the kitchen area then you could always sand and change to oil in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back