Real wood flooring on Concrete floor??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!
Advice needed: I'd like a real oak floor but have a concrete floor, does anyone know if this is possible (no height for laying ply (?) first). Is there a new type of solid wood flooring that can be laid straight onto concrete? Is engineered board any good?
Any help greatly received.

Sponsored Links
What is the thickness of your solid boards? Are they T&G'ed?
Normally not a problem to install solid boards floating on concrete - level concrete - , you have to use an underlayment containing a DPM layer and sound-insulation layer, nowadays combi-products (very handy!).

Thank you. I haven't bought the flooring yet as I'm waiting to until I know the best option to go for.

we just laid a Junckers floor which has a weird metal clip system so that it go over a concrete floor (after you have put down all the right underlay). It was expensive, but looks wonderful.

Sponsored Links
Had my oak floor laid for about 3 months now - really pleased. Combilay and then glued all round. If large rooms then leave a decent expansion gap. It moved quite a bit while we were painting the walls and woodwork due to the moisture.

Porker said:
Had my oak floor laid for about 3 months now - really pleased. Combilay and then glued all round. If large rooms then leave a decent expansion gap. It moved quite a bit while we were painting the walls and woodwork due to the moisture.
Two rules of thumb comes in mind:

All wet work should be finished before installing the wood.
Expansion gaps: 3mm per meter width of the room, minimum 10mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back