OAP council flat bypassed during heating upgrades since 80s

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an elderly friend (OAP 85) who lives in a Council Flat and is struggling with the cold, but too proud to admit she needs help.

It would appear that the council has overlooked her property during succesive upgrades over the years (she maintains she doesnt need central heating) which I thought were required by law? This means in 2007 she has her own electric fire in the lounge and no other heating. Her hot water is supplied via an electric immersion heater only.

The council are useless to correspond with and very difficult to get to do anything, even to look!

Does anyone know the rules and regs for council properties regarding minimum standards their property should attain?

TIA.

Sponsored Links
Is there a local radio consumer programme in your area or perhaps the local paper who would love a story like this. ;)

Is there a local radio consumer programme in your area or perhaps the local paper who would love a story like this. ;)

Yes I bet. Sadly the old lady hates a fuss and doesnt like to put anyone out, she still thinks Councils are doing their best and if they could they would!!

Sponsored Links
Maybe she was offered an upgrade and refused it.

some older people don't like central heating.

Yes she said they did ask her years ago and she doesnt want it, but I thought regulations would require they provide a proper heating system. Once she had it we could set it up for her to work automatically, and she could choose herself whether to use it or not. Our concern is that she suffers from the cold anyway (poor circulation) and her hands and feet are often dark blue, quite scary. So OK she wont have it on high snug as a bug, but we could at least set it up so it never gets to freezing in there.

This is the same council who took three months and three workmen to change a lightbulb in the communal hallway and even longer to fix our security doors. They are just a nightmare.

Same goes for Social Services etc getting them involved would be too stressful, as she is scared they'll throw her out!! Dont get me wrong she is a real old battleaxe, just doesnt like making a fuss.

Go for it. Contact SC and the council, just tell them what she's like. I find they're pretty sensitive aut upsetting people, helpful, trained even!
Keep reminding her that she, or her husband has worked all her life and has paid for basic services, or whatever!

I'm an engineer for my local council. and there is quite a few homes in my district that have the basic appliances water heater and fire etc. it's down to the tennant. we wait till the tennant leaves the property before beginning upgrades. but they would do it if it was essential. all you can do is reason with the old lass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back