Objections: Blacked out by Planning Department

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I wonder if anyone could kindly tell me if you receive an objection for your planning application and some of the comments have been blacked out, can you request to see a copy without the comments being blacked out (i dont mean the name and address as obviously i know that would not be released).

thank you.
(just thinking about asking the Council to send a copy, not entirely sure I want to know what was said at this point).

Sponsored Links
Never known comments to be redacted. Names and addresses - for data protection reasons - but not comments?

Any information that could identify a person would be redacted, not just name and address details.

it might be the address and name at the bottom but there are two paragraphs blocked out. On other objections there has been even the house number of one of the objectors mentioned and that was not blacked out which makes me think that this is just some words rather than an address.

Sponsored Links
If you drag your carcass down to wherever your councils' planning dept is you'll be able to see the full unexpurgated version. Online stuff is redacted to prevent distant botherers hoovering up names and addresses and spamming them with junk mail

I can actually view it in person? Not very nice things said already on the portal so expecting to hear we are members of Satan's Disciples or something like that! Will they actually let me see the name and address on it as well? and thank you for all your replies it is greatly appreciated! (must remember to tuck my horns in when i drag my carcass through the town hall doors)....

Yes they will, it's all public record- when you make an objection there's a warning that your name and address and objection will be available for public inspection while the application is live.
EDIT You may get some attempted blocking from staff due to the 'current situation'. Remind them they have a statutory obligation to fulfil, if they still don't produce then take names and escalate rapidly (Local Government Act 2000)

Last edited:
Check with your local council first. Several of my local councils will not allow public visits without a prior appointment. As they are all "working" from home no one ever answers the phone hence my local Town Hall has been deserted for the past 15 months.

Town Hall doors are closed for Covid. Looks like will have to try the email route. Going to think about this, as its a bit like hitting your own fingers with a hammer, do i really want to know? My stomach always cringes with dread whenever I click onto the planning portal to see if more slurry has been posted up, not sure this is good for my state of mind at the moment. But thank you for your advice, it is greatly appreciated x

Don't fret too much- most objections are 'i don't like it' and carry little weight with planners (had a couple of those for my garage build). And don't let them hide behind Covid as an excuse for not fulfilling a statutory obligation.

Well bit of an update. My other half emailed a councillor to ask him to kindly have a look at the fence in person so our application was fair and unbiased as objections give the impression of Colditz, anyway he got a reply back saying he and his wife looked at it "weeks ago" after being contacted by residents and that they thought it looked "harsh". Its meant to be decided next month and comments are still open until the Committee date so we probably in for a load more manure being caked on to the portal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back