Obscure pump question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm wanting to repurpose an old dishwasher and turn it into a parts washer for my garage. My aim is to run the dishwasher from a recirculating water based solvent solution. This would require a header tank, a filtration system and some sort of pump.

The dishwasher intakes water at a minimum of 10 litres/min, finding a pump to supply at this rate is quite easy, but I'm wondering what pump you would recommend? Would I need a pump like a shower pump, with automatic cut in & out? Or could I use a constant running pump but plumb it to recirculate?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
There will be a electrically operated valve in the dishwasher that controls the flow of water into the machine.

You could use the switched supply to this valve to control the pump.
Not directly as the switch controlling the supply to the valve solenoid will almost certainly not be rated to carry the current required by a pump.

Hence the supply to the solenoid can be extended to the coil of a contactor or relay and then the contacts of that contactor control the mains supply to the pump.

There will be a electrically operated valve in the dishwasher that controls the flow of water into the machine.

You could use the switched supply to this valve to control the pump.
Not directly as the switch controlling the supply to the valve solenoid will almost certainly not be rated to carry the current required by a pump.

Hence the supply to the solenoid can be extended to the coil of a contactor or relay and then the contacts of that contactor control the mains supply to the pump.

Excellent idea.

I’ve got a decent understanding of 12v electrics but not of 240v. I’d imagine you can buy 240v relays?

Sponsored Links
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/non-latching-relays/0376903/
F0376903-01.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back