Obscuring Bathroom Window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just finished converting one of my spare bedrooms into a bathroom.

I want to eventually replace the existing clear glass of the window in the bathroom with frosted glass but my bank balance wont allow that to happen for a couple of months yet!

I need a semi-permanent solution for the time being, as I dont really want to put newspaper on the window. A friend mentioned to me he thinks you can buy some sort of spray that you can use, but I havent seen anything.

Anybody got any ideas?

Sponsored Links
There used to be a self adhesive film you could buy,, called 'fablon' that was frosted and will do the job if its still available.

Try a search on 'fablon'

Good luck

A similar film can be purchased from larger B&Q stores. It works well and is cheaper that the spray.

If you can take the window out of the frame easily, perhaps "etching" paste might help? This is just a VERY strong acid that dissolves away a minute layer of the surface and leaves it frosted. It may well dissolve the frame too so I would be careful!

Alternatively, you could try going at it with a coarse sanding disc. This could just end up with a broken window mind.

Bear in mind that either of these two solutions poses hazards. I would say you should go with the film as a first choice and only try either of these two if you decide to frost your own patterns.

Have you considered auto-tint film as an alternative to frost? It is dead cheap from Halfords, you may even know someone who has used it on their car and has some left over for free. Know anyone with an XR2i? ;)

Sponsored Links
We do a frosted window film that you can use. If you want to remove this later it can be removed with a wallpaper stripper and/or a glass scraper - details can be found - - - - - - - -

Fablon is still available at your local B&Q stores and do a 'frosted glass' effect :)

Hi Visionwindowsfilms

Put your website address on your profile page.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back