Obsolete Honeywell valves

Yeah algas. Gerroff me nuts! You know how it is. Gotta keep things close to my chest in case the information falls into the wrong hands. Forum rules innit?;)

Sponsored Links
Yeah algas. Gerroff me nuts! You know how it is. Gotta keep things close to my chest in case the information falls into the wrong hands. Forum rules innit?;)
Light-back on burner shutdown is a common problem when using LPG (flame speed).
Considering the burners don’t utilise adjustable air speed shutters then the diagnosis would of been quite simple.
Yes forum rules forbids any gas advise so you’d be wise to keep the simple fix close to your chest.

Yes Grumpy, so it appears. Apparently this problem particularly affects Concords though. I wonder if your diagnosis would have been the same as Malcolm's.

Yes Grumpy, so it appears. Apparently this problem particularly affects Concords though. I wonder if your diagnosis would have been the same as Malcolm's.
The later Concord’s were fitted with a Nox duct, the CX model you have wasn’t.
I can’t divulge too much information as per forum rules.

Sponsored Links
Malcolm didn't mention the lack of a Nox duct, Grumpy, but despite not having one the boiler is functioning fine now. Please can you advise, though, if having one retro-fitted would make a lot of difference to fuel efficiency/emissions from my boiler and if so what sort of money we're talking about to have that job done? I've also considered having pilot lights (this one and 2 x Myson Economists) replaced with electronic ignition to save on ever-increasing LPG bills & reduce emissions. I've read that it's possible on some boilers but do you think that would be a viable option too?
Thanks
brucek

Parts are mostly obsolete for the CX 205/240, burner bars will require changing in order to utilise electronic ignition along with the electronics (circuit boards), modification to a gas appliance is a non starter as Malcolm would of pointed out!
In order to retrofit the Nox duct modifications to the collector hood would have to be carried out along with replacement burner bars.
Time to put the CX out to pasture.

So I guess there's not really any point in pursuing retro-fit any further Grumpy. Possibly she will need replacing before long but she's running fine now and, even if she's not quite as efficient as younger models (same applies to me), there's life in the old girl yet. You can still buy quite a lot of LPG for what it would cost for a replacement.
I wonder if new boilers will still be working in 30 years' time. I know for sure I won't!
Thanks for your advice.
brucek

So I guess there's not really any point in pursuing retro-fit any further Grumpy. Possibly she will need replacing before long but she's running fine now and, even if she's not quite as efficient as younger models (same applies to me), there's life in the old girl yet. You can still buy quite a lot of LPG for what it would cost for a replacement.
I wonder if new boilers will still be working in 30 years' time. I know for sure I won't!
Thanks for your advice.
brucek
No you cant really do much to make your existing more efficient except upgrading insulation etc and you are correct, no new boiler will outlast that old girl, yes they MAY be more efficient but to be honest the pay back times are no where near as good as some manfacturers claim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back