Solenoid for honeywell gas valve vr4601

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope someone can offer some help quickly... Boiler is VERY intermittent and I can't get much hot water!

I have a Baxi Solo 2 pf40. The gas valve is a Honeywell VR4601 T a1026. I think they're the numbers that matter. I believe the pilot solenoid is to blame. This has 5441 001 embossed on the plastic at the back of the terminals.

However, I can't find this solenoid anywhere. The only Honeywell ones don't look right as the terminals face the other way from the one currently in place.

Background - the boiler makes a strange noise after a few minutes of running. When it tries to re-fire, it doesn't get further than the pilot electrode sparking (pilot spark is visible). I've put a screwdriver onto the end of the solenoid and can feel no magnetism when it's sparking. Switching off for a bit and then re-starting usually results in successful firing up. When it does successfully fire, I can feel magnetism in the solenoid, so this suggests it's temperamental.

First, would anyone be able to suggest where to get hold of the right solenoid quickly? And second, does my thought process make sense that it's likely to be the solenoid?

I'm not an RGI, but I'm capable of this as it doesn't involve touching any gas connections or going inside the combustion chamber.

Sponsored Links
How are you going to test that the new solenoid hasn't affected the working gas pressure once you've changed it? It's a safety critical part and should only be replaced by an RGI

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot understand how you can really think that replacing a solenoid on a gas valve is not a gas related repair!

But then I do not own or moderate this forum!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back