Occasional Death smell through kitchen drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had our house refurbished and got a traditional P trap under the sink.

This runs into the waste, which eventually terminates in the soil pipe.

Generally pretty ok, but over the last weekend we've been getting the full works of sewer smells through the kitchen sink.

First thought is that the P trap is a poor quality one and isn't forming a seal well, but before I change it for a McAlpine one wanted to make sure there is nothing else I should be aware of. I've run water down it, and there isn't a siphon effect occurring so that's not the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Could be a few things, I wouldn't be looking at the trap quality in the 1st place. As long as it has a 75mm loop/seal then it should be ok. That being said, never say never.
The trap may be getting syphon'd by another appliance attached to the same waste run or the drain could be backing up and forcing sewer air up past the seal or the waste pipe run isn't correct. Do you have appliances attached to the sink waste before the trap? Could be one of them at fault.

First thing I would check is wait until you get the smell then check if the trap has been syphoned. Run a thin wooden down the sink waste into the tap and measure the water seal height and smell above the waste and check it's definitely coming from the sink trap.

Sponsored Links
And change your diet if you're getting a death smell :whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back